2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It finally went....damn

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 AM
98BlueSport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are getting robbed. I just had my tranny rebuilt, all raybestos clutches or how ever its spelled, new HD recon convertor, 22,000 BTU cooler, Went through the whole valve body and reamed and replaced some valves. Complete rebuild for 1450. All i need to do is put the trans temp guage in it. Builder says i can pull what ever i want in over drive with out a worry in the world. and he backs it. Doesnt matter what im pulling, he says if i have a problem to bring it back no matter what no matter when.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

^thats an average price in my area too

Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by 98BlueSport
I think you are getting robbed. I just had my tranny rebuilt, all raybestos clutches or how ever its spelled, new HD recon convertor, 22,000 BTU cooler, Went through the whole valve body and reamed and replaced some valves. Complete rebuild for 1450. All i need to do is put the trans temp guage in it. Builder says i can pull what ever i want in over drive with out a worry in the world. and he backs it. Doesnt matter what im pulling, he says if i have a problem to bring it back no matter what no matter when.
the price has already been discussed earlier in the thread, $2500 is on the low end of the many estimates I got, it ranged from 2500-$3000, I suppose its just where I live. It is what it is. I chose this shop because 1) it was the cheapest 2) it was recommended.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BlueSport
I would run like hell from any shop that can quote me what a rebuild would cost *WITHOUT* having dismantled the transmission. There are no guarantees what what is or isn't torn up until every nut and bolt have been removed and every part and piece inspected. What I do is ask for a ballpark figure. eg. Best case scenario and worst case scenario. That way, I know what I'm in for.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I would run like hell from any shop that can quote me what a rebuild would cost *WITHOUT* having dismantled the transmission. There are no guarantees what what is or isn't torn up until every nut and bolt have been removed and every part and piece inspected. What I do is ask for a ballpark figure. eg. Best case scenario and worst case scenario. That way, I know what I'm in for.
yeah well again not to repeat myself but the place I went with said it would be around $2500, maybe a little under but figure close to that, so its not even a definite amount but I tend to agree its pretty tough to figure an exact amount until your in there. Im thiknking the estimates I got were higher also because they were "estimates" and they were planning for worst case scenarios when they got inside.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

and for anyone thats wondering, i checked with him this morning and that price ballpark includes everything: transmission, cooler, lines, tc, etc. he named it all, plus a 1yr/10,000mile warranty...so im feeling pretty confident about him, and again he was recommended.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you going to put 30" Super Schwampers on that BeYOTCH?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Are you going to put 30" Super Schwampers on that BeYOTCH?
that would look sweet wouldnt it.....:-)

Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

most rebuilds in my part of NY seem to be round 1500 to 1800 (but I havent got a price for a 46re dodge tranny yet either so)...It would of course matter what they do to it. You can get rebuilt trannys for our trucks for $750 bucks on ebay with limited warranty but I bet they arent rebuilt anywhere near as good or strong.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe thats why the estimate was high?...To cover the worse possible scenario.
aghh sorry didnt read ahead magnumpwr beat me to it...

Quick Reply: It finally went....damn