2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It finally went....damn

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
thats what i say, buy a brand new one. or they have new remans on ebays for 750 bucks.
New Reman? That's an oxymoron. Anyway, $750 for a trans makes me very, very leery.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
New Reman? That's an oxymoron. Anyway, $750 for a trans makes me very, very leery.
that makes me leery too. Sounds way to cheap to be good.Yeah the aps may cost $2500 but then it still has to be installed. I think for $2500, or less he said if it goes better than expected, for the tranny, cooler, tc, etc. and installation is not bad.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumpwr16
that makes me leery too. Sounds way to cheap to be good.Yeah the aps may cost $2500 but then it still has to be installed. I think for $2500, or less he said if it goes better than expected, for the tranny, cooler, tc, etc. and installation is not bad.
I agree with being cautious and leary, but think about it a machine shop/ transmission shop that just takes cores and rebuilts the same model trannys all day can do it a lot cheaper and more efficiently since they have more extra doner part lying around.its like mass producing something... Its likely not as good as a premium rebuild with better than oem kits but I bet its not all that bad either..... Its easy enough to find out, just email some of the past customers on his feedback list from months or years ago... people ask me about stuff I bought like that all the time.

$2500 just seems kinda high to me for a regular rebuild...espcially when the book value of these trucks with good tranny is only $2300-5300....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:53 PM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but how would one tell if ones transmission has been replaced/rebuilt?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:56 PM
xray99
Banned

Exactly, for $3,000 look around a bit, can likely pick up a decent truck, trans and all.
On the other hand, we all know what we have individually put into these vehicles, maintainance & upgrades, so that has to be considered.
Alls I can say is theres no way I'd pay over $2,000 for a rebuild.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Originally Posted by xray99
Exactly, for $3,000 look around a bit, can likely pick up a decent truck, trans and all.
On the other hand, we all know what we have individually put into these vehicles, maintainance & upgrades, so that has to be considered.
Alls I can say is theres no way I'd pay over $2,000 for a rebuild.
alright, for all you guys that are saying my quote of $2500 is too high and stuff, theres nothing I can do about it. That was the lowest quote for my area. And in comparison, I checked around and definitely could not get as good of a truck for $2500 than I have, so it seemed to me it was worth fixing. There's nothing else wrong with the truck, and I'm not in a position to buy a newer truck just yet, so it was either fix this truck or find another truck and take a chance. With this one I know what I have. Believe me, I considered this for 2 days before reaching a decision.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM
big.red.ram
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u have a good looking truck. i say fix it!!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumpwr16
alright, for all you guys that are saying my quote of $2500 is too high and stuff, theres nothing I can do about it. That was the lowest quote for my area. And in comparison, I checked around and definitely could not get as good of a truck for $2500 than I have, so it seemed to me it was worth fixing. There's nothing else wrong with the truck, and I'm not in a position to buy a newer truck just yet, so it was either fix this truck or find another truck and take a chance. With this one I know what I have. Believe me, I considered this for 2 days before reaching a decision.
These guys saying it's too high aren't taking into account labor rates, transmission type, and what extras you're doing to it.

Don't sweat it.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
These guys saying it's too high aren't taking into account labor rates, transmission type, and what extras you're doing to it.

Don't sweat it.
Read my lips - I, that means me personally, would not pay over $2,000 for a trans rebuild, and I know for a fact that I could get a quality rebuild done for that or less, taking all factors into consideration ,, And yes, that includes labor.
What "extras" are you talking about that makes a jacked up price sound so sweet, getting the lines flushed ?
You might be willing to pay it, you might be willing to pay twice as much, knock yourself out, thats you.
He asked for opinions, he got em, and don't expect everyone to agree with yours.

Magnum, some more [perhaps unwanted] advice.
Since this guy has torn it apart, he should have a near exact idea of what needs replacing and/or reworking.
You should get an itemized list, including brands, of all the components he plans on replacing.
Knowing this, you can get at least a ball park idea of what the parts themselves are going to run, maybe even adding 30% or so for markup.
The balance will be the labor - He should also have a pretty good idea of how many hours this is going to take to do, so if you get those figures and it comes out to $200/$300 an hour labor, you know you are getting jacked.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quick Reply: It finally went....damn