2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"So dad, where the hell did I put the dash?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:32 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those would be a good idea for our Kenworths (i'm not sure if their even filtered, and being farm trucks, we get all sorts of dust and beeswings from corn in the cabs, which really makes us mad, especially in my dad's 07 T800, man thats a sweet truck)

Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
those would be a good idea for our Kenworths (i'm not sure if their even filtered, and being farm trucks, we get all sorts of dust and beeswings from corn in the cabs, which really makes us mad, especially in my dad's 07 T800, man thats a sweet truck)
http://www.nemr.net/~cabfresh/KenworthPage1.html

Old 11-29-2009, 07:27 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Well, its back in!!! And the heat works great!!! Thanks to all!

The following users liked this post:
J D GA (07-28-2021)
Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Well, its back in!!! And the heat works great!!! Thanks to all!
That really tells the full story!

On Black Friday I got the HVAC box all assembled and back in the truck. My dad spent 2 hours wiping the inside of the unit down with soapy water and a rag. Then we sprayed some Lysol on the inside of it. And when you spray the Lysol, make sure you dont get one of the gaudy smelling ones that will choke you and dont overdo it. Just a light adn swift spray will be enough. And I forget what scent of Lysol we got, but it was in a Purpl can (Pun intended). With the vents and heat on high it kinda smells like new car smell.

Then we went down to Lowe's to get some pipe insulation and weatherstripping for the Evaporator Core. This was needed because the original stuff was decomposed and hard from the fungi and mold that accumilated on the core. They dont have the same rubber-type thin insulation that was on the original core, just the thick foam-type insulation. Whatever, its better than nothing. But they do have the same type of weatherstripping that covered the area of the core.

We acually made 3 trips to Lowe's that day. Whatever kind of pipe insulation you get, dont get the stick-on aluminum foil-type insulation that comes in a roll. It wont stick to the core's tubes for some reason. Just get the thick tubes.
Here is a pic:
Name:  PurplDodgeHeaterCore001.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  53.7 KB
Looks like something off the space shuttle?

Got the Evaporator Core back in and the HVAC box re-assembled, heater core in the box and put it back in the truck.

Then on Saturday it was time for the dash to meet the cab once again. We had one of my dad's friends come over and help us with the install. Having him help us was a BIG help! My dad and him could hold the dash while I plugged in connectors and such. Two people can do this job, but it takes 3 stooges to do it quicker. Got everything in, wired all up, put some coolant in the radiator and fired that mother up!

I was like a kid on Christmas when she fired up!!! Glad to have the Dodge back! Parked it in the sloped driveway of our new house and let all the air bleed out of the cooling system. Then we had a problem, no heat...

Sunday we were gonna get this thing heated and running again. It took some troubleshooting, but we found out that the little electric motor that moves the blend-air door wasnt moving much. It was moving a little, but not much at all. So, we took out the ACM on the floor, the little vents that are for the floor heat, and I reached my hand up in the HVAC box. Sure enough, the blend-air door was stuck on something. It just took a little hit and it moved freely. Awesome!!! Got everything back in and now we have a very hot heater!!! It is amazing!

Thats a long enough post for now. I gotta go put Christmas lights up!

The following users liked this post:
J D GA (07-28-2021)
Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Here is something else that I didnt mention, my vents never worked right after I put everything back together. I went back and remembered that I had broken this little stupid arm that controls a blend door that regulates where the air goes to (the dash or floor). Well, I found this little thing at my dealer, I forget what it called, but it is P/N 1-04720347 (in the bottom left of the pic) and was $10 at the dealer. Cheap part that you will need to replace when you are changing the evaporator core, because it is a PITA to change when the HVAC box is in the truck.
Name:  023-3.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  68.3 KB

Old vs. New:

Last edited by PurplDodge; 02-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
halfamil
All Star

Your still 14, that's why you forget that $hit............

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta give credit where credits due. Purpl, You know your $hit. I follow a lot of your threads and everyone of them, your in there turning wrench's with the best of them. Moreover, your a teenager?! Hats off to ya buddy. I've always been curious, you always talk like the truck is yours, is it? Who pays for all the stuff you do to your truck?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 AM
highlander73
Professional

Originally Posted by J415
I gotta give credit where credits due. Purpl, You know your $hit. I follow a lot of your threads and everyone of them, your in there turning wrench's with the best of them. Moreover, your a teenager?! Hats off to ya buddy. I've always been curious, you always talk like the truck is yours, is it? Who pays for all the stuff you do to your truck?
+1 to that

Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 AM
yakkier
Banned

Nate's a good kid, deff knows his stuff, just needs a foot up his *** sometimes to straigten em out but what teen dont

Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by J415
Thank you for the credit, man. Its greatly appreciated.

As for the truck, it is my dad's, although he likes to call it a "joint ownership!" When I turn 16 he wants to give me this truck because we have put so much time into it over the past 6 years that he thinks I deserve it.

Quick Reply: "So dad, where the hell did I put the dash?"