2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ideas on compressing front calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ideas on compressing front calipers?

I have the brakes pads out and about to put the new pads in. I can't get the calipers to compress/retract back into the caliper housing. I have tried the but of a hammer, the but of a hammer while getting hit by a rubber mallet, the handle of the hammer with all of my weight. Nothing gets it to compress. I have the brake fluid cap off, but can not get any compression.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 AM
big.red.ram
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a C-clamp. put one of ur old pads against the piston and put ur C-Clamp on it then tighten it up. just make sure its goin in straight. if that doesnt work u may have a seized piston or a bad brake hose. let us know if that works

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudshack
I have the brakes pads out and about to put the new pads in. I can't get the calipers to compress/retract back into the caliper housing. I have tried the but of a hammer, the but of a hammer while getting hit by a rubber mallet, the handle of the hammer with all of my weight. Nothing gets it to compress. I have the brake fluid cap off, but can not get any compression.

Any suggestions?
I would release the caliper bleeder instead and use a LARGE C clamp. If the piston doesn't easily retract at that point, it could be sticking, and you need to replace or rebuild the caliper.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
big.red.ram
Captain

^ +1 on the bleeder forgot to mention that. if there is any junk in the hose or caliper u dont wanna push it back up into the master. it will also make it easier to compress

Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I am on it.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
I would release the caliper bleeder instead and use a LARGE C clamp. If the piston doesn't easily retract at that point, it could be sticking, and you need to replace or rebuild the caliper.
No. Remove the cap/cover from the master cylinder reservoir. That will allow the fluid to travel back into the reservoir. Then, there is no need to top off, if at all.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM
big.red.ram
Captain

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
No. Remove the cap/cover from the master cylinder reservoir. That will allow the fluid to travel back into the reservoir. Then, there is no need to top off, if at all.
it can be done either way. which ever way he wants to do it will work

Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I did that procedure once...

...and ruined a master cyliinder. I suppose it might've been borderline, but it ruined an inner seal. A simple procedure that I tried a different way became a costly and time consuming repair.
Popping the bleeder cleans out the caliper, and any fluid you need to replace is simply new fluid.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
big.red.ram
Captain

^ right like i said above if there is any crud behind the piston in the caliber it will just push it out of the bleeder instead of pushing it up into the very expensive master cylinder. ya u may have to add some brake fluid but IMO its better to put a couple bucks towards brake fluid than a coupld hundred towards a master cylinder

Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
I did that procedure once...

...and ruined a master cyliinder. I suppose it might've been borderline, but it ruined an inner seal. A simple procedure that I tried a different way became a costly and time consuming repair.
Popping the bleeder cleans out the caliper, and any fluid you need to replace is simply new fluid.
If "popping the bleeder cleans the caliper" then that means your whole braking system is most likely contaminated. Over time, even the braking system should be overhauled with repair or replacement of the MC, wheel cylinder seals, etc. I prefer to refurbish everything and replace the flexible parts.

Quick Reply: Ideas on compressing front calipers?