2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help deciding on a Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Yeah, having a red truck and looking like part of the fire brigade is much better.
Maimi, I'm still trying to figure out how you use them white nerf bars??? Do you enter barefoot?
I like the 01....actually they should be superior mechanically since they have the newer braking system and from what I read other 3rd gen innovations tucked in them.....pluss it has the most complete service record and you can see it was someones pride and joy.....plus you'll be glad you have the 5.9 if bigger tires are in your future....

Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Maimi, I'm still trying to figure out how you use them white nerf bars??? Do you enter barefoot?
If you look closely you'll see there is a dimpled step plate near the front door area. Even still, they are powder-coated, not painted, and hold up really well to my size 10s.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I like the 01....actually they should be superior mechanically since they have the newer braking system and from what I read other 3rd gen innovations tucked in them.....pluss it has the most complete service record and you can see it was someones pride and joy.....plus you'll be glad you have the 5.9 if bigger tires are in your future....
Mechanically wise, no, they weren't better made.(as in newer) General trends in the threads here prove that alone. (Wow, I feel like I said that once before) I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 2001's were a lot a like 3rd gens. To a point they were, but nothing worth talking about. The SLT+'s had options that became standard, and that's about it.

Miami, another thought that occurred to me: It has been a long *** time since I've seen a RED fire truck. All you see around here anymore is Reflective green and some yellows.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Mechanically wise, no, they weren't better made.(as in newer) General trends in the threads here prove that alone. (Wow, I feel like I said that once before) I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 2001's were a lot a like 3rd gens. To a point they were, but nothing worth talking about. The SLT+'s had options that became standard, and that's about it.
I would say that the front brakes on the 2001 (dual calipers) are definitely better than previous model years. That's just one improvement that comes to mind.

Miami, another thought that occurred to me: It has been a long *** time since I've seen a RED fire truck. All you see around here anymore is Reflective green and some yellows.
Some smaller municipalities in CA use day-glo green trucks, but L.A. County FD vehicles are still all red.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the 97 for the reason that it has had 1 owner. Usually more owners on a vehicle is a red flag.

Last edited by CappinHoff; 11-29-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Duck Vader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the 01.

I did a lot more test driving, and the 97 with the 5.2 just seemed a little week, and the steering was really loose. I also test drove a few other trucks.

The 01 had the front end re-done when it got into the dealership. They also gave me the best deal of all the trucks I drove.

For $$6000 out the door, I got the truck plus a 5 year 100,000 miles extended warranty that will cover the tranny, transfer case, engine, water pump, etc.

Everything about the truck was remarkably clean, the tranny fluid was good and had no burnt smell after a 30 minute test drive.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well damn I hope it works out for you!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck Vader
Bought the 01.

I did a lot more test driving, and the 97 with the 5.2 just seemed a little week, and the steering was really loose. I also test drove a few other trucks.

The 01 had the front end re-done when it got into the dealership. They also gave me the best deal of all the trucks I drove.

For $$6000 out the door, I got the truck plus a 5 year 100,000 miles extended warranty that will cover the tranny, transfer case, engine, water pump, etc.

Everything about the truck was remarkably clean, the tranny fluid was good and had no burnt smell after a 30 minute test drive.
those warranty's usually arent worth the paper they are printed on as the dealerships that offer them usually pull a fast one and change the legal ownership and name and negate all the previous liabilities.. not always though. Just use caution when using the warranty as an influence in the decision process is all I'm trying to say I guess..I know I read here more than once of someone being denied the service the truck needs under warranty only to have the same shop give an astronomical estimate for repairs as soon as the warranty expired....
in anycase I would try to get my moneys worth out of that warranty since you certainly paid for it in the price of the truck.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Duck Vader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the NADA value was $7500 for the truck, and I got to see their paper work. They had about $5500 invested in the truck including their repairs to the front end. I used to work at a Dodge Dealership, so I know the price is fair since it included the warranty.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Enjoy your new truck. I think you got the right one at a fair price.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on a Dodge truck