2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help deciding on a Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh, the fly by wire mystery ghost isn't just plaguing toy toys. There has been a few cases of it happening with 3rd gen trucks, but none that I've heard of yet with 4th gen.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 AM
moparama
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey speaking of this toyota monkey business...Augie you may heard about this was a camry in parking lot that after started and put into reverse the car hit like 40mph into a building (amherst,NY) wasnt no damn floor mat like they are saying the just dont want to take responsibilty for there sh*t product.LOL

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Not likely. I read an article in the L.A. Times yesterday about the issue. According to a study by NHTSA, reports of sudden accelerator incidents involving Toyotas quadrupled after the 2002 model year. What changed? Toyota went from cable-operated accelerators to fly-by-wire systems that are computer controlled. I seriously doubt it is as simple as a floor mat or that Toyota will fess up to the real problem anytime soon. They'll take a page from the Ford playbook and just deny, deny, deny.
but Unlike fords shady tacktics of waiting till thousands of cars burst into flames from a faulty cruise control unit (parked or not) of dodge's deathflash to cover up their defect instead of fixing it (non life threatening I know) toyota actually released a recall and the CEO apoligized to the buyers and I believe resigned afterward with shame.....One thing I do have to say about the japanese is they do seem to take the whole honer and pride thing seriously unlike american companies when someone ****sup someone takes responsibility...I was suprised to see that.

As far as the toyota being that much better mechanically than one of the big three its simply not the case (anymore) the big three has improved quality on many of their vehicles and toyota's plenty of their own.(like the tundra being very underpowered until recently)....My Mom and her bf both have camerys ones an early 90'2 and ones a late 90's ....They both see the shop with problems every now and then....the late 90's one is rusting out everywhere (but has 300k on the clock (2nd engine) and drives better than the older one with 50k?) in any case they are boring to me and I wouldnt buy one by choice...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-01-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moparama
Hey speaking of this toyota monkey business...Augie you may heard about this was a camry in parking lot that after started and put into reverse the car hit like 40mph into a building (amherst,NY) wasnt no damn floor mat like they are saying the just dont want to take responsibilty for there sh*t product.LOL
no didnt see it.....But lets be reasonable, one recall hardly justifiys and **** product....my jeep had three while I owned it....I still get notices from my 92 lincoln I sold?
But again its no worse than what ford did with their recalls remember the ltd that could burst into flames while driving (they even had a movie about it) or the criuse on almost all their 90's model cars that also burst into flames ...and lets not forget the firestone tire on the explorer fiasco...
I dont know of any life threatening things not recalled right away by Dodge but I see they should have had a recall on the plenum design and instead went out of their way to not do it and hurt vehicle performance in the process.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=hometheaterman;1891232]I wouldn't even consider a car from one of the big 3 companies. When it comes to a truck it's a different story as Honda doesn't make any full sized trucks and Toyota doesn't make any 3/4 ton trucks.quote]

You have never heard of the Honda Ridgeline? It's ugly as sin, but it's a fullsize truck.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem with the ridgeline is V6, unibody, no seperate bed, AWD instead of 4WD option, lack of towing power, load capabilities, small bed, its a Honda, and yea its ugly

Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
the problem with the ridgeline is V6, unibody, no seperate bed, AWD instead of 4WD option, lack of towing power, load capabilities, small bed, its a Honda, and yea its ugly
And to Honda engineers, those are the positives.

I can't believe Honda built a truck that can't even fit one of their own dirt bikes in the bed.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on a Dodge truck