2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help deciding on a Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
WScott1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck Vader
I miss it.
I understand. They drive like they're on rails.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:38 AM
WScott1500
Rookie

Originally Posted by Duck Vader
By the way. I am picking up the truck on Tuesday sometime I hope. I will get pics of it this weekend and post some up.
Excellent - looking forward to them!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After owning a Dodge I don't think I'd buy another one. The transmission problems are just the start of the common problems. There is a long list of other expensive problems they have too. This truck has made me realize the American car companies really do suck.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

yea dodges do have a lot of problems like falling apart around the motor but hey all the car company's have there problems so ya ide prolly buy another dodge idk about another 1500 tho ive allways ben a cummins fan

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
After owning a Dodge I don't think I'd buy another one. The transmission problems are just the start of the common problems. There is a long list of other expensive problems they have too. This truck has made me realize the American car companies really do suck.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the 01 are the worst from what i heard

Old 11-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have anything of substance to these denigrating statements? I have owned nothing but Dodges and Jeeps since 1979, and while they have had a few issues they have all been great vehicles. My current Ram has over 100k miles, is a V10 and has been excellent to me and to the previous owner. Most of the people I see with issues either live in areas that are hard on any vehicle, treat them like crap or some combination of the two. I am surrounded by people with trucks because I motocross and I don't see any difference between brands in the amount of maintenance or repairs required. The guys with Chevys, Fords or imports that I ride with seem to have the same level of problems as any others. Some are different issues, but they all appear to be more related to the service and treatment these trucks get and less to do with the brand name. Of course, if you read something on the internet it must be true.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
You really bet up on dodge. If cars and trucks give you that much of an issue don't drive. All parts will fail over time no matter how well put together. I just spent my xmas gift on new front hubs.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Does anyone have anything of substance to these denigrating statements? I have owned nothing but Dodges and Jeeps since 1979, and while they have had a few issues they have all been great vehicles. My current Ram has over 100k miles, is a V10 and has been excellent to me and to the previous owner. Most of the people I see with issues either live in areas that are hard on any vehicle, treat them like crap or some combination of the two. I am surrounded by people with trucks because I motocross and I don't see any difference between brands in the amount of maintenance or repairs required. The guys with Chevys, Fords or imports that I ride with seem to have the same level of problems as any others. Some are different issues, but they all appear to be more related to the service and treatment these trucks get and less to do with the brand name. Of course, if you read something on the internet it must be true.
being that you have owned nothing but Chrysler products (and a bad chevy nova ) wouldnt that mean you dont really have a well rounded experience owning the other american brands?
I'm really not trying to start anything, I do love my truck but so far my experience has been expensive....and the shady dealer practices like deathflash to cover a serious design defect dont help.....
As I mentioned before I owned a jeep wrangler that was very very reliable and I bought my truck very used so I'm giving dodge the benefit of the doubt myself but I cant help but have the ugly feeling in my gut that the 2nd gen dodge truck has more design weaknesses than most that rolled out of dodge..When I went to my local dealership I had to pick up a part and the guy behind the counter said he had three dodge pickups...two older ones (one he was restoring) and a 2nd gen....he was the first one to warn me about the plenum (his was blown) and told me he would likely be seeing a lot of me....he also said the 2nd gens had more tsb's on the front end alone than any other dodge he had seen....dont shoot the messenger I'm just relaying what I was told...
On the other hand My experiences with other cars has shown me they all have design weaknesses like the rack and pinion in my vette that failed because of certain parts being made of aluminum instead of steel and expanding and contracting at different amounts and wearing out (sound familiar) as well as wiring weaknesses/shorts that plagued them in the mid/late 80's from a rough suspension...
and many of the foriegn cars may be more reliable mechanically....(most studies show this as much as I hate to admit it) but they rot apart in nothing flat....lets face it they each have their way of planning obsolesence to ensure you will need to purchase other vehicle at least every 10 to 15 years. Thats all it is, is different ways to accomplish the same thing...
hell give it a couple years and they will all be foriegn anyway......ford makes its trucks in brazil now and chevy has moved much of its production to canada and mexico and korea and an increasing # of the dodge products are from mexico and canada (i'm not even going to touch who owns them now) so...having american roots dont mean squat to me if the product isnt american made with american sweat and blood....call me old fashioned I guess but it seems the joke is on us...
dismounting soapbox now....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Hey now, I didn't say it was too bad. You just get kinda burnt on them when that's all your family buys. My mother's last 3 vehicles were all white and my stepdad bought that 350 in white.

Trust me, my next truck will either be black, maroon, or Orange.

i vote maroon

Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95MaroonMonster
i vote maroon
I vote red...black is a bitch to keep clean and shows scratches easy plus nothing stands out as much as a bright red truck!
Orange is tough...its like my yellow vette....to many people are opinionated about the color and give you weird looks comments....

Quick Reply: Help deciding on a Dodge truck