2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help deciding on a Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Duck Vader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding on a Dodge truck

I don't know if this is the right spot to post this, but I did a lot of searching around on here last night and I couldn't find somewhere else to post this. If it does not belong here, let me know and I can delete it or have the mods move it.

On to my current situation.

I just sold my car last night and I am in the need of a new, well new to me, truck. I have owned jeeps, chevys, fords, toyotas, mitsubishis, etc., but never a Dodge. I have done a lot of research and determined what I need/want is a 2nd gen Ram, reg. cab, short bed, 4x4.

During my searching I have also heard the horror stories of the automatic transmission.

But after doing a lot of searching and test driving, I have narrowed it down to 3 trucks. All three have been very well maintained, have full service records, and are very clean.

What I need help is what one would be the best choice for me since I don't know a lot about dodges.

It will be a daily driver, putting on only about 5-10 miles at most a week. I do take trips up North so I will take it off-road occasionaly. I will probably put some kind of lift and bigger wheels/tires too, but that won't be for a couple of years. I won't do much engine mods, but maybe a nice intake/exhaust.

I would love to get a Cummins with a 5-speed, but they are more expensive than I want to spend right now. I just sold a $15k car and I would like to keep my payments low since I don't drive that much. (I take the city bus everywhere for the most part)

These are the three trucks I am deciding on.

1997 Dodge Ram 5.2L SLT Reg. Cab 4x4 5-Speed

104,800 miles

1 previous owner

No modifications except a tonneau cover, bed liner, and step bars.

All records available and no major work except maintaince ever done.
1999 Dodge Ram 5.2L Reg. Cab 4x4 Automatic

83,000 miles

3 owners

No mods but soft cover tonneau and step bars.

All records same as 1st one.

2001 Dodge Ram 5.9L Reg. Cab 4x4 Automatic
132,000 miles

3 owners

It has vent shades, bed rails, tonneau cover, fog lights, bug shield, tinted windows, dual exhuast, aftermarket CD player, decals, and chrome roll pan stick on things.
Like I said, I drove all 3 and they are seem very well maintained, have great paint, and are all in great shape.

I like the 97 for the half decent mileage and the 5-speed, the 99 for the low mileage, and the 01 for the modifications and the 5.9.

Is the auto transmission really that bad and should try to avoid?

None of them have had trans or engine work done, and all of them have a clean carfax.

They are all the same price too.

So based on what I have said, if you had to choose one of the three based on what I plan on doing and based on what the trucks have/are, what one would you pick?

Can you please explain your choice as well?

Thanks.

Last edited by Duck Vader; 11-26-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please use more descriptive titles.

All 3 sound like decent trucks, but it would help to know what the prices are. I like #3 simply because of the bigger engine and newer model year, but the higher mileage could be an issue. The 5.2l is somewhat anemic, but it gets about the same mileage as the 5.9l, so why go smaller? If they are all in about the same shape cosmetically and the same price, then the newer truck is the better deal.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Duck Vader

OK. I will keep that in mind about the descriptive titles.

They are all set at $5995 for now, but of course I would talk down the price.

I have heard the 5.9L paired with the auto is just asking for trouble though. Is there any truth to that?

Old 11-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tranny is a weak point in all 1500s, but not so much so that you should shy away from a Dodge. The internet makes almost any issue look huge because the ones complaining are usually the only ones you hear from. I would never again own a stick, personally, but if it fits your needs then get one. I wouldn't get a stick over an auto just because of some postings on the internet, though. If the '01 is on its original tranny at 138k then you might consider it needing replacement soon. Use that as leverage to get a lower price, not an excuse to walk away from it.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM
RedRigRon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
... If the '01 is on its original tranny at 138k then you might consider it needing replacement soon. Use that as leverage to get a lower price, not an excuse to walk away from it.

+1 Use the extra cash for the NEW replacement when it goes.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with choose number one just b/c it is a 5 speed you wont have to every worry about the trans going and if you drive it right it well get better gas millage. The 5.9 compare to the 5.2 gets about the same mpg but also you dont gain much power with the 5.9 and i heard 5.2 run a lot longer and i belive every bit of that. Dodge makes a great truck but they cant make a trans to save there life. By far my next truck going to be 6speed cummis hoply this summer but we see.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Duck Vader

What it really is coming down to is the 97 or the 01. At the same price the 01 does look better, and for only 25,000 miles difference isn't that much.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:38 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

if it was me the 97 5.2 5sp is the winner

Old 11-26-2009, 04:48 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

I would get the 01 its newer it seems to have a couple more mods(which it seems you like them), nothing seems to be to much that would make you think it was abused, the extra torque from the 5.9 is noticeable, wouldnt be to worried about the tranny if taken care of can last pretty long, mine has 160,000 miles on it and never misses a beat.

Now the 97 would be nice too the 5.2 with the 5-speed can hang with any 5.9 with an auto, but do you like driving stick, also it has only 1 owner you could try and get ahold of and find out more about it, if your not buying it from him

good luck with either of them though

Old 11-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Duck Vader

The 5-speed does not bother me. I have had both auto and manuals, and I like them both. Autos are nice when you are really tired, or drive in lots of stop and go traffic. The manual is more fun, can get better mileage if you know how to use it, and is cheaper to fix. It can also be more reliable.

What this is coming down to is mods and 5.9 vs manual and lower mileage, and it is driving me nuts.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on a Dodge truck