2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help deciding on a Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
being that you have owned nothing but Chrysler products (and a bad chevy nova ) wouldnt that mean you dont really have a well rounded experience owning the other american brands?
Well, being that I'm the one with the most mechanical aptitude in my circle of friends and family, I get plenty of exposure to those other brands.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing about ford trucks but I know my brother, and my dad work on their chevys twice as much as I do its just different things, and most of the things I have been replacing on my truck are things like brakes which are gonna go eventually in any brand of vehicle

Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
You really bet up on dodge. If cars and trucks give you that much of an issue don't drive. All parts will fail over time no matter how well put together. I just spent my xmas gift on new front hubs.
It's not that I don't need to drive it's that I don't need to drive a Dodge I guess. I can honestly say that this truck has been the biggest money pit we have had when it comes to vehicles.

Also have a Chevy car that was originally owned by my Grandmother then given to me when she got a new vehicle as she knew I liked it. While it doesn't give us near the problems the Dodge has it's still isn't and hasn't ever been anywhere near as reliable as either of the Honda's we own.

One of the Honda's we have has over 250k miles on it and has been a better vehicle mechanically than my Dodge had been by the time it hit 100k.

I wouldn't even consider a car from one of the big 3 companies. When it comes to a truck it's a different story as Honda doesn't make any full sized trucks and Toyota doesn't make any 3/4 ton trucks. If I was ever going to buy a half ton truck though it would more than likely be a Toyota. If I needed a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in the future I guess one of the big 3 would really be the only option as of right now though. Anything other than one of those two things I don't see why anyone would buy a car or truck from one of the American companies.

I will also agree that most every company has it's weaknesses with each of their vehicles. However, I've yet to own or even see one with as many issues as these Dodges have. The ones I've seen or been around with the most issues have also all been a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 11-30-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
If I was ever going to buy a half ton truck though it would more than likely be a Toyota.
When it accelerates into a wall on its own, let me know how you feel about it.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate to break it to you but the totota Tundra is made in texas.....in reality it more american than the mexican dodge 1500 ram now made by fiat... Look at all the mitsubishi Dodges and mazda fords and toyota chevys out there!..The chevy traverse is made in the same factory right along side a toyota suv..... the sad fact is people need to open their eyes...there is NO MORE american and foriegn cars so to speak they all own majority stock in one another and for the most part work together....its all just a marketing scheme these days.....hell I install xerox brand machines made in Japan by fuji (the guys that make subaru boxer engines) instead of the previous american made and designed machines actually made by Xerox. I also install and service hp brand marketed machines made by epsons parent company.(so much for fair competition) ...now if that isnt messed up I dont know what is....its like fords being sold as chevys..... And I still have a hard time believing the chevy aveo is made in Korea!....the HHR, ford Edge... canada, pt cruiser -mexico..ford f150- Argentina..I can go on all day. Sadly I think their are as many foriegn branded cars made by americans as american branded ones..Even the camaro is made in a foriegn country!!..its a ****ing american Icon! Go figure? EDIT I believe Volkswagen and toyota are the last independantly owned auto makers left in the world....At least that what I read a while back.

We sell seem to want to sell everything.....we even sold budweiser to hieneken, coors to molson and genesee to west african breweries..levis jeans to egypt..IBM to china...(they designed our stategic defense system BTW) do you see a trend here?....america is for sale and americans cant afford to buy or keep

wow I got my high horse to balance on the soapbox

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-30-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

I don't care where those companies make their vehicles, Bottom line is the profit still goes to Japan, Korea or China.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
I don't care where those companies make their vehicles, Bottom line is the profit still goes to Japan, Korea or China.
(or Germany or italy?) or Japan if you include their mitsu partners...
As appossed to the american car companies that basically all claim no profit and squander it on CEO bonuses and jets?

again their is only two independant car makers left the rest are all already sharing profits....Its all organized in ways to get around liabilities and things like owning up to pensions from their mismanagment and such.....from what I can see american car companies arent doing the american people very much justice lately....I'm sorry but I still see way more of the big three's vehicles on the road here than any other yet they managed themselves right into bankruptcy? Who to blame? Really? all they had to do was roll with the changes and pay there employees realistic wages on par with other American industries...it doenst make sense that other companies can make cars here and pay americans to make them while american bases companies pay foriegners to make their cars cheaper than the the ones made here by americans?...its a joke who's really screwing who?
really companies like toyota are giving profits back to the american people better than the american ones by giving americans decent jobs and paying them to make them? what exactly has chevy or dodge done to help the american people except screw the american people out of a HUGE portion of their monety by filing bankruptcy and this bailout crap....the CEO's and share holders still walk away rich why we pay for it? and then they have the nerve to take their jobs out of the country?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-01-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
When it accelerates into a wall on its own, let me know how you feel about it.
Isn't the cause of this the gas pedal getting stuck the floor mats? That's what I read the last article I read about it but it's been a while. Anyway, I wish when my Dodge had problems they were as cheap as removing a floor mat. That issue is a non issue imo.

A Dodge wouldn't drive into a wall because it probably wouldn't move from the transmission being messed up. If it did move it you would probably run off the road from the death wobble from having crappy front end parts. You'd also be lucky if after you got in the ditch you could get back out because more than likely your LSD will have taken a crap on you and both tires wont spin to get you out. If you get hot while waiting for the tow truck to come get you out you can forget about your A/C working because more than likely the evap core will have developed a leak. Hopefully, you won't have gotten pieces from the cracked dash you would have in your face during all this mess.

Hmm, removing a floor mat sounds like no problem.

As the above post said what has Chevy or Dodge done for the American people? Other than take our money that quite a few of us didn't want to give them to bail out their company I don't see what they did. If they made products that weren't a piece of crap to start with people would actually buy them and they wouldn't have needed a bail out.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 12-01-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 AM
WScott1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the cause of this the gas pedal getting stuck the floor mats? That's what I read the last article I read about it but it's been a while. Anyway, I wish when my Dodge had problems they were as cheap as removing a floor mat. That issue is a non issue imo.
Actually the NHTSA believes the problem is not quite that simple:

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/69248992.html

As the above post said what has Chevy or Dodge done for the American people? Other than take our money that quite a few of us didn't want to give them to bail out their company I don't see what they did.
Personally, I don't believe it is incumbent upon them to do anything for the American people. They offer a product and it is up to the individual to decide whether to purchase it or not. If they offer a poor product, then then their sales fall off and they either rectify it or go out of business. At least that is the way a freemarket economy is supposed to work. The government stepped in and bailed them out and gave us no say in the matter. A lot of Americans have taken government bailouts in the form of welfare, food stamps, SSI, etc.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Not likely. I read an article in the L.A. Times yesterday about the issue. According to a study by NHTSA, reports of sudden accelerator incidents involving Toyotas quadrupled after the 2002 model year. What changed? Toyota went from cable-operated accelerators to fly-by-wire systems that are computer controlled. I seriously doubt it is as simple as a floor mat or that Toyota will fess up to the real problem anytime soon. They'll take a page from the Ford playbook and just deny, deny, deny.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on a Dodge truck