2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough running issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
972500V8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough running issue

I have a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9(360) Gasser.

Question:
I went this morning and turned it on and proceeded to wipe the snow of my windows, got back in and took off, drove fine for about 5-10 minutes then as i was waiting at a stop sign it just started running rough, it almost sounds like a diesel. If i through it in Neutral it idles better but not the same as before. I got to work and shut it off, and it fired right back up no problems or hesitation, and actually sound a little better, but after a slight rev i noticed it was still rough.

I scanned it for codes and got 2 codes the first time, both related to the O2 sensor and then i cleared them and ran the truck and it seemed a bit better but not the same as it was, after driving for a little while i stopped and scanned again and got 1 code. P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit, Bank1-Sensor2 High Voltage

Now before everyone says thats got to be it, keep in mind that my O2 sensors been popping that code since i bought the truck last year, i know i need to replace it regardless, but is it possible that the cold weather threw it off completely or that is completely crapped out on me now, or do you think its something else?

Also the truck runs rough but still runs, when i throttle it, it DOESN'T fall on itself, it goes but you can feel it not working at full potential. If you put it in neutral and rev it, it sounds normal but you can feel the hesitation from the engine in the peddle. It almost feels like a multiple miss fire, but im not popping codes for it. Could my plugs be fouled out and causing this but my computers cant see that its miss firing.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the pre-cat 02 sensor will make it run rough. the CAT also might be clogged.

and yea the 02 sensor may have tripped the codes, but now it finally crapped the bed, or theres a carbon build up from a blown plenum and it cant get a reading.

also make sure the #5 and #7 wires arent touching, this will cause misfiring

could be dist. cap. when i changed mine when i did the plenum there was a debris build up on the spark nodes, so it never got a good spark, and had white power all in the cap???? changed it and yea it made a hell of a difference, but mine was neve running rough.

Last edited by 95RAM360; 12-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

Not completly sure, but I would first replace distributor cap + rotor, plugs, wires, and maybe the coil. That made my 360 run 10x better right off the bat.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
972500V8

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
the pre-cat 02 sensor will make it run rough. the CAT also might be clogged.

and yea the 02 sensor may have tripped the codes, but now it finally crapped the bed, or theres a carbon build up from a blown plenum and it cant get a reading.

also make sure the #5 and #7 wires arent touching, this will cause misfiring

could be dist. cap. when i changed mine when i did the plenum there was a debris build up on the spark nodes, so it never got a good spark, and had white power all in the cap???? changed it and yea it made a hell of a difference, but mine was neve running rough.
Originally Posted by rydesolow
Not completly sure, but I would first replace distributor cap + rotor, plugs, wires, and maybe the coil. That made my 360 run 10x better right off the bat.
Ill check the plug wires, but if it was my distributor, cap, coil, plugs or any of those, wouldn't it pop a code on the computer. I have only popped two codes and there were both for the O2 sensor.

Last edited by 972500V8; 12-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

It wouldn't pop a code. My distributor cap and rotor were corroded beyond belief. I actually have a write up on here about it with pics. Never had any codes.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

PS: If your CAT was clogged really bad, your engine would overheat and start spilling coolant.

I had a lifted Jeep Cherokee, and when the CAT got clogged, it overheated the motor like mad, spilled coolant, and I couldn't drive more then 15mph. New cat, fixed everything. So I don't think thats your problem here.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
972500V8

It wouldn't pop a code. My distributor cap and rotor were corroded beyond belief. I actually have a write up on here about it with pics. Never had any codes.
can you get the link for me.

PS: If your CAT was clogged really bad, your engine would overheat and start spilling coolant.

I had a lifted Jeep Cherokee, and when the CAT got clogged, it overheated the motor like mad, spilled coolant, and I couldn't drive more then 15mph. New cat, fixed everything. So I don't think thats your problem here.
I dont over heat at all, so i doubt thats it.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
rydesolow
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...estions-2.html

That's the 2nd page of a big thread I believe.. scroll down a bit and you'll see all the pics and what not.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
98 Ram "Hybrid"

I would assume since it's o2 sensor codes that you have a bad cat. The symptoms seem the same (I overheated my cat and warped the inside because it was covered in clay and mud) and didn't overheat the engine so I wouldn't let that be the the deciding factor that that wasn't the problem.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
972500V8

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...estions-2.html

That's the 2nd page of a big thread I believe.. scroll down a bit and you'll see all the pics and what not.
i dont see any pictures, ive gone throught the first 5 pages.

Quick Reply: Rough running issue