2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cleaning Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009 | 12:28 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
^ that wasnt the only flaw with the plenum and wont perminatly fix it
I would like someone to prove INDEFINITELY, that the plenum plate is the main problem.

Old 12-14-2009 | 02:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I cannot prove DEFINITIVELY that the plenum plate is the problem. No one can really, as a recall or TSB was never issued to fix the true problem.

There are 3 prevailing theories as to why the plenum blows. It could be one, two, or a combo of all three reasons as to the true reason:

1. When Chrysler designed the Intake, they failed to countersink the bolt holes deep enough for the bolts used to secure the plate and gasket, resulting in a seal at the incorrect torque to properly hold a seal.

2. Poor quality OEM paper gasket.

3. The plate and intake manifold was made of different material which expanded and contracted at different rates, resulting in a gradual tearing of the gasket.

I suspect it's probably a combo of all 3, to varying degrees. The Hughes and APS plates address all three issues: thick aluminum plate with a felpro gasket.

Old 12-14-2009 | 02:58 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
3. The plate and intake manifold was made of different material which expanded and contracted at different rates, resulting in a gradual tearing of the gasket.

thats the other reason combined with the long bolts

Quick Reply: Cleaning Intake manifold