2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive keeps turning off

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009 | 07:42 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

^i could hardly understand that...

Old 12-16-2009 | 09:31 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

when the transmission overheats it will turn off the overdrive.
when the transmission is too cold it will turn off the overdrive.
get that code read at a parts store to at get an idea of whats going on.

Old 12-16-2009 | 09:55 AM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

jeeeze thats not smart. Dont try to force it to go into overdrive like you did. Obviously its cutting overdrive out for a reason and shouldnt be tricked into comming on. Like said, get the codes. And if i were you i wouldnt try to put it back into overdrive when it cuts it off... It is cutting it off for a reason, Especially if it keeps cutting it out like that.

Old 12-16-2009 | 03:53 PM
CommanderTGK
|

Okay, I'll get the codes today, I have a suspicion that it is overheating. I found alot of stuff online that says the check valve underneath the truck begins to clog with small pieces of the ****ty torque converter and that causes the transmission to overheat. The solution is to put in an aux cooler and/or to clean that check valve.

Old 12-16-2009 | 07:49 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

you actually want to delete the check valve: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

and it wouldn't hurt to do a transmission fluid and filter change.

Old 12-16-2009 | 07:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I only made to bumping comment because bumping a thread after only 40 mins or no reponse is a bit ridiculous no matter what hour.plus the thread was still at the top of the list so bumping made no sense at all? ...and i had a point about the time since it took six hours after you made that comment to get a response....
If I had something to offer besides that I would have given advise on it....to be honest I think my truck was doing this at the end of a 2 hour drive I did last week....but it did go in and stay in on its own just seemed to lag more in doing it.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-16-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2009 | 10:58 PM
CommanderTGK
|

I highly encourage everyone to read that link above, you will ruin your transmission if you don't unclog that valve and or remove it.

Old 12-16-2009 | 11:19 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by CommanderTGK
I highly encourage everyone to read that link above, you will ruin your transmission if you don't unclog that valve and or remove it.
The regular members all know about it. Hell I've been a member here a good while and never did it until this week. Lets just hope you have better luck than I do.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-at-least.html

On a side note, there was no buildup of gunk what-so-ever in the checkvalve on my truck upon removal.

Also CommanderTGK, as suggested by Sheriff, a trans filter and fluid change wouldn't hurt. I have pic's up and some notes in this thread when I did mine.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...er-change.html

Old 12-17-2009 | 01:40 AM
CommanderTGK
|

Can anyone tell me what it costs to get the filter changed and the fluid changed? Or is it relatively easy to do on your own?

Old 12-17-2009 | 01:58 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by CommanderTGK
Can anyone tell me what it costs to get the filter changed and the fluid changed? Or is it relatively easy to do on your own?
Cost all depends on the quality of materials (gasket type cork or rubber etc) if you can do an oil change in a car, you have the ability to do a trans filter change on your truck. This one can be just a bit more messier. I gave you the link to the pictures. There is a more indepth how too in the DIY section but to be blunt you basically you unscrew the bolts, drop the pan, clean the pan, swap the filter, and bolt her back up. Oh, and refill of course

Some people perfer to take it some where, but if you do make sure of two things for me...

1. They drop the pan and change the filter (NO FLUID FLUSH)
2. They use ATF+4 Trans fluid only and not dex III with friction modifer.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 12-17-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Overdrive keeps turning off