2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
EHS22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck problems

Okay, today i was at my physical therapy for about an hour, and i got done went outside and fired my 1997 1500 up. When i was taking off out of the parking lot i gave it gas and nothing was happening. So i pressed it farther and farther and it started to lurch forward and felt like it was going to stall out.. The truck has stalled once before when i first started it up, but never felt anything like this. It has 179,000 miles, and i bought it this June. Never had any problems? Help on what this could be??

Also, for the past month when i take off and the truck is between 2000 and 2600 RPM's there is a vibrating noise right under the passenger seat and its loud. Any advice about this too????

Thanks for any input.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM
jrube
Default Good Luck getting a response

The vibrating noise you hear under the passenger side floor is more than likely your CAT Converter. If it is going bad, it can definitley cause these problems, and it will more than likely be hotter than heck after running your truck for a while.

As a fellow new guy posting to this board, all I can say is good luck. I have only had 2 or 3 folks reply to any of my posts, and only a handful read them.... Your better off searching for posts where someone had a similar issue, than you are asking a question in a post in this forum. Some of the other members who have been here a while will actually tell you that.

Not the friendliest bunch, but if you do your searches, you can find an answer or a direction to go in.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these trucks are known for having bad cats , most likly due to a blown plenum ..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jrube
The vibrating noise you hear under the passenger side floor is more than likely your CAT Converter. If it is going bad, it can definitley cause these problems, and it will more than likely be hotter than heck after running your truck for a while.

As a fellow new guy posting to this board, all I can say is good luck. I have only had 2 or 3 folks reply to any of my posts, and only a handful read them.... Your better off searching for posts where someone had a similar issue, than you are asking a question in a post in this forum. Some of the other members who have been here a while will actually tell you that.

Not the friendliest bunch, but if you do your searches, you can find an answer or a direction to go in.

Good luck, hope this helps.
its not that we are trying to be unfriendly...its just we dont like to bother to answer the same ten questions every day from those who come here asking questions before bothering to look and see if its already been answered 100 times...(and likely even brought up the same day)
also if people would actually put the issue their having in the thread title description you will likely get way more help....Its the same as ant other forum...
and since its kind of a small group here we have all answered the very common questions so many times we sometimes just get frustrated that no one seems bother to save themselves as well as us the time by just typing the problem into the search bar...
it doesnt sound like a cat to me...especially if its doing it at a certian rpm range only....plugged cats will usually let the truck idle fine but run terrible beyond that if at all...
one way to check is let it run and see if the pipe is a lot hotter on the inlet side than the outlet side of the cat...if it is plugged you can bet you plenum gasket is blown...one of the other super common issues here with our trucks.
I would say its a tranny or universal joint issue as far as the noise and vibration...hopefully not a differential problem...next time it does it put your hand on the 4x4 shifter and see if you feel it there. But I believe your first mentioned issue is engine related (tune reciently?) and second is driveline/tranny related.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-22-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
jrube

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
its not that we are trying to be unfriendly...its just we dont like to bother to answer the same ten questions every day from those who come here asking questions before bothering to look and see if its already been answered 100 times...(and likely even brought up the same day)
also if people would actually put the issue their having in the thread title description you will likely get way more help....Its the same as ant other forum...
and since its kind of a small group here we have all answered the very common questions so many times we sometimes just get frustrated that no one seems bother to save themselves as well as us the time by just typing the problem into the search bar...
If perhaps, it is a bother to take a minute for a suggestion, perhaps taking a minute to reply with a link to a previous post answering questions the person may have. When you are a newbie here, and you post a question, see that 20+ people read, but nobody shared info, it can get discouraging. Just a thought....

Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If perhaps, it is a bother to take a minute for a suggestion, perhaps taking a minute to reply with a link to a previous post answering questions the person may have. When you are a newbie here, and you post a question, see that 20+ people read, but nobody shared info, it can get discouraging. Just a thought....
so let me get this straight you want to come here and ask the question and have others do the search and copy and paste the link to the threads answering your questions

They do share info. Suggestion to use the forum right and use the search function first is the best info they can give....it not only educates you on the easiest (and fastest) way to find your answers fast it stops you from continuing bad habits.

BTW because this thread was titled "truck problems" it will less likely to be of use in a search as a thread posted with a good description that can help others in future searches...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-22-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

You probably need a tuneup and plenum fix. You weren't in 4X4 were you? By the description it sounds like binding or slippage. Which does it feel like?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm thinking slippage due to low transmission fluid. how does it shift and how is the fluid level? a plugged cat won't let it rev very high, if you can redline it then the cat is probably fine.

as far as the unfriendly comment goes, if i don't have any idea of what the problem is then i won't comment. no info is better than misleading info.
i've seen a bunch of people come on here, ask a question then disappear forever. and the follow up questions that come after the initial question are trying to get more info from the original poster that left out helpful info about their problem.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:23 PM
EHS22
Professional

thanks for all the replies (except for the negative ones, i dont want to hear that bc i did put it in the search bar and found nothing, so it must not have been answered 10 times?) But i found that the heat shield on the CAT is loose so its vibrating against it. I'll check trans fluid.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, you need a reality check. A) It's the holidays and most people have better things to do than sit on the computer. B) This is a free forum. No one gets paid to answer questions here and the ones who are kind enough to do so deserve thanks, not an attitude of entitlement like you've shown. C) There is a FAQ section with lots of info. Have you checked it? D) Searching does work, but when you use vague titles like "Need help" or "Truck problems" then it gets hard to find a relevant thread. Putting your search term in quotes sometimes narrows the focus. Try it. E) Performance problems are the hardest to diagnose via a medium like this. The causes are many and you may just have to wait until someone who has had the exact same experience with their truck sees your post. Targeted thread titles can help. Refer to D).

Quick Reply: Truck problems