2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights and HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to ebay and find you a nice black halo pair. I installed mine in maybe 30 minutes. You just have to keep messing with the wires till you find the right combo.

Look at the headlights in my picture below.. Their halogens and work pretty good... You can also get them in black which I have on my other black truck.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by 99redram318
Auggie and Purpl is it worth it to argue with these guys? We know our facts and they have theirs. There are plenty of mods to various vehicles people don't agree with, its bound to happen. H.I.D.s are infact brighter and more efficient but there will be the people to complain. Just like people to complain about sounds systems, exhausts, tinted windows, the list goes on. People will always find something to whine about. whether its vehicle related or not. It is human nature. On my snowmobile forum theres guys just like this that complain about exhaust systems. It is truely nuts. Its all personal choice on your vehicle. Haters make the world go round. You cannot do anything in this world to please everyone, just let them be and live your life. We all have our own tastes. There is no need for everyone in this forum to bash eachother! lets all just move on and what not. Whether they need to chime in or not.
I agree with the thrust of your words, however I wouldn't characterize an opinion contrary to yours as "whining" - Using a buzz word like that sets up the exact conflicts that you seem to want to avoid.
Really an immature word to use, and people should be careful throwing it around, because you are equating a grown man with a child using it, and it projects an aire of superiority ,,, Like your opinion is sound & stable, and mine, if different, is just whining.

That said, I would like to know your grounds for claiming these are more efficient.
Maybe they are, have devoted 0 effort in finding that out, so maybe you can enlighten me in that regards.
You replace a $10-20 bulb with a $200-400 setup, how is that more efficient ?

We all know that they are brighter, thats not in dispute.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 AM
quackaddict
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gav1n8
Just go to ebay and find you a nice black halo pair. I installed mine in maybe 30 minutes. You just have to keep messing with the wires till you find the right combo.

Look at the headlights in my picture below.. Their halogens and work pretty good... You can also get them in black which I have on my other black truck.
Yeah I am going back and forth I did some more research and may end up just going with a the black crystal headlights takes it from 2pc to 1 pc and get some brighter bulbs. I like both but don't know yet not gonna mess with the HID's.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
quackaddict
Veteran

Originally Posted by xray99
That said, I would like to know your grounds for claiming these are more efficient.
Maybe they are, have devoted 0 effort in finding that out, so maybe you can enlighten me in that regards.

I think what he is refering to as far as efficiency is they are supposed to last longer and require less energy (i know that is the wrong word but best I could use) to run them. I don't think he meant efficient like cheaper.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
99redram318
Professional

Originally Posted by quackaddict
I think what he is refering to as far as efficiency is they are supposed to last longer and require less energy (i know that is the wrong word but best I could use) to run them. I don't think he meant efficient like cheaper.
exactly. And to be honest I was running silverstars before this at $45 a set. so I saw an H.I.D. kit on tspny.com for $70 got them and couldnt be happier. They last longer than your regular halogen and use less energy as stated above. The light out put is also greater than your halogen bulb. Mine are correctly positioned so they are not blinding. I'm responsible and also dont like being blinded but that is just human nature. So to each their own. I rest my case. You gentlemen have a great day. Ill be plowing all day long

Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by quackaddict
True, I figured that.
But cost effectiveness is almost always factored into any efficiency calculations.

LED flashlights, for example, are far and away more efficient than bulbs.
They use less juice so the batteries last longer, are much brighter and have a far greater life span.
In many cases, the price is not that much different either, so I consider that true efficiency.

In the case of HID's, you might save what, a gallon or 2 of gas in the course of a year for them being more energy efficient.
Lets say 5 gallons.
Longer lasting ,,, Well, I've had my bulbs in my truck since I bought it in 2003, don't know if they were stock from 1996 or what.
So 7 years at least, thats pretty impressive, and if HID's beat that, thats not much of a factor as thats going towards the effective life span for the entire vehicle.

So from an efficiency standpoint, would those marginal, debatable benefits justify spending $200-500 ?
I'd have to say hell no.
From a coolness factor, you can't put a price on that, and thats exactly why they are hot sellers.

Last edited by xray99; 12-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
quackaddict
Veteran

True, I figured that.
But cost effectiveness is almost always factored into any efficiency calculations.

LED flashlights, for example, are far and away more efficient than bulbs.
They use less juice so the batteries last longer, are much brighter and have a far greater life span.
In many cases, the price is not that much different either, so I consider that true efficiency.

In the case of HID's, you might save what, a gallon or 2 of gas in the course of a year for them being more energy efficient.
Lets say 5 gallons.
Longer lasting ,,, Well, I've had my bulbs in my truck since I bought it in 2003, don't know if they were stock from 1996 or what.
So 7 years at least, thats pretty impressive, and if HID's beat that, thats not much of a factor as thats going towards the effective life span for the entire vehicle.

So from an efficiency standpoint, would those marginal, debatable benefits justify spending $200-500 ?
I'd have to say hell no.
From a coolness factor, you can't put a price on that, and thats exactly why they are hot sellers.
I just like making you post so I can see the picture at the bottom of your signature

But the bulbs themselves are not $200-$500 it is the housing that is and that is where I believe you can get led astray. HID's are probably more efficient in everyway than halogen but what you have to do to get that efficiency may not be.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by 99redram318
Mine are correctly positioned so they are not blinding.
They are not "correctly" positioned, and yes, you are blinding. It is impossible to correctly aim a rebased HID bulb, period. There is no arguing that. The only correct way to retrofit to an HID system, is with HID Projectors, not Halogen projectors or reflectors.

Daniel Stern > HID Ricers.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the thrust of your words, however I wouldn't characterize an opinion contrary to yours as "whining" - Using a buzz word like that sets up the exact conflicts that you seem to want to avoid.
Really an immature word to use, and people should be careful throwing it around, because you are equating a grown man with a child using it, and it projects an aire of superiority ,,, Like your opinion is sound & stable, and mine, if different, is just whining.

HID's draw on average of 35w vs 55w halogens and put out on average three times the light output of a 55w halogen....they are more efficient by far than halogen. (Also why they can be blinding to oncoming traffic when used in old school textured lense halogen housings which is likely the reason for being illeghal)..just like metal halide is more efficient than halogen...thats why large warehouses almost always pick HID or metal halide for lighting over halogens... just as halogen is more efficient than an old school standard filament bulb. different gases do in fact have a huge impact on the efficiency of a bulb.... low and high pressure sodium is another very efficient bulb. That why they are used in street lights over other technologies...
Hid's can be helpful in other ways too for example I have more juice for my stereo to suck up at stop lights thus I dont need the heavier alternator...... they are not all that pricey either compared to new oem housings and bulbs...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-28-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
xray99
Banned

Ok got it, so drive your truck for 17 years, and they will pay for themselves with that great efficiency.
I'll take 3 !
I think 1 in the middle would be even cooler !

Last edited by xray99; 12-28-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: headlights and HIDs