2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights and HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dommaisano
so i didnt look into it b4 i bought my headlights and hids i got the ccfl projectors and i called a shop to have them put on and they said "check and c if the headlights u got r able to have HIDs in them cuz some of the housings will melt with HIDs cuz they get to hott and will actualy melt plastic or the glass over the projector!" that just what i heard and thought id share in case anyone else is looking and ordering some or make the same mistake i did :/
I heard this too....but another member here put them in his halo projectors even though they said "HID's not allowed" and stated he has had no issues with them....my guess is its a DOT thing.Did you actually try them?..They are plug and play? you dont need to pay a shop to do it? I've seen reproduction taillights on a restoration fail inspection because they didnt get the DOT certification....

Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Your going to be doing a lot of flashing because the simple truth is HID's are going to replace halogens just like halogens replaced the regular standard filament bulb And yes I bet a lot of people probably said the same thing about how bright and distracting halogens were compared to the old school dim bulbs...
Honestly I dont know how you could say they are blinding when so many oem vehicles are already using them but hey your right its your opinion and your entitled to it..
I do do alot of flashing, not flashing as such, as soon as I see them blocks away my brights go on, and stay on until I pass.
Not much thought or effort required, its become like a reflex.

Maybe things will become a bit better when things become standardized and people stop doing these half assed retrofits.

Not sure why you're backing off how bright these can be, aren't you the one who said get rid of your fog/off road lights cause you don't need em with these things ?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM
dommaisano
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havnt had them installed yet im waiting on my new set bulbs but im just letting the shop do it i no the guys and there givin me a good deal and i just dont feel like messing with it and i had the shop check and it turns out that the ones that i got are ok to have hids installed in them so im hoping everything ill go fine lol

Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
I do do alot of flashing, not flashing as such, as soon as I see them blocks away my brights go on, and stay on until I pass.
Not much thought or effort required, its become like a reflex.

Maybe things will become a bit better when things become standardized and people stop doing these half assed retrofits.

Not sure why you're backing off how bright these can be, aren't you the one who said get rid of your fog/off road lights cause you don't need em with these things ?
thats not really what I meant... I said they put out three times the usable light to see the road...but yeah driving lights are pointless with them and if you still need them you probably dont have them installed or set up right...two or twenty headlights properly aimed should really be just as blinding (or not) if you think about it.

They are very bright on the road not in other drivers eyes UNLESS...they are pointed wrong or installed in the wrong housings...then I totally agree they can be distracting...and your right the fact that their are so many out there with the installed improperly in the old frosted glass lensed housings that deflecting the light and making them look like distracting blue fireballs comming at you that its giving them a bad rap...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: headlights and HIDs