2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights and HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM
99redram318
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
They are not "correctly" positioned, and yes, you are blinding. It is impossible to correctly aim a rebased HID bulb, period. There is no arguing that. The only correct way to retrofit to an HID system, is with HID Projectors, not Halogen projectors or reflectors.

Daniel Stern > HID Ricers.
Come on up here I'll show ya! You havent seen my truck going down the road nor do I have pictures up that would show it. so please keep you opinions to yourself and I'll keep mine. I'm not out there picking apart your truck on mods that effect me. This thread has run its course... Its ridiculous to argue over things over the internet and with act like teenagers.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
Ok got it, so drive your truck for 17 years, and they will pay for themselves with that great efficiency.
I'll take 3 !
I think 1 in the middle would be even cooler !
and a new paint job larger tires lift roll bar or aftermarket stero pays for itself how exactly?.And I'm not even mentioning spending $50 -$200 on fog,driving or offroad lights that you wouldnt need with headlights three times as effiecient as the old oem halogens (plus your ampherage draw with said lights on) .... they are a way to improve your truck ....you have your way of looking at it (a bit sacrcastic and narrowminded but its your opinion none the less) what worth buying to you and others have different ideas of what getting their money out of something might be....
Besides Honestly just one avoided accident like hitting someone on the side of the road or running something over in the road and they've paid for themselves over many times over...
I do agree all the HID's I've seen myself in the older halogen lights are distracting and annoying to pass on the road..(Yes there a guy in town who has done this to his second gen so I know what they look like and even from the other side of a divided highway they were distracting....I'm not bashing anyone just stating my observations...I guess its possible he has them aimed wrong....I myself am going to add them to my projectors

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-28-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
and a new paint job larger tires lift roll bar or aftermarket stero pays for itself how exactly?.And I'm not even mentioning spending $50 -$200 on fog,driving or offroad lights that you wouldnt need with headlights three times as effiecient as the old oem halogens (plus your ampherage draw with said lights on) .... they are a way to improve your truck ....you have your way of looking at it (a bit sacrcastic and narrowminded but its your opinion none the less) what worth buying to you and others have different ideas of what getting their money out of something might be....
Besides Honestly just one avoided accident like hitting someone on the side of the road or running something over in the road and they've paid for themselves over many times over...
I do agree all the HID's I've seen myself in the older halogen lights are distracting and annoying to pass on the road..(Yes there a guy in town who has done this to his second gen so I know what they look like and even from the other side of a divided highway they were distracting....I'm not bashing anyone just stating my observations...I guess its possible he has them aimed wrong....I myself am going to add them to my projectors
Not being sarcastic really, just making my point in a colorful way that not 1 single person has or will ever install a set of blinders with thoughts of efficiency dancing through their heads - And BTW, these are much more likely to cause an accident than avoid one.
Same blinding effect that people get driving into a rising or setting sun, you are very vulnerable with that wash out of vision, and I've long ago taken to just putting my brights on and leaving them on until I pass these jokers with blinders.

I don't begrudge you or anyone else their opinions, and its your perfect right to do as you please, just as it is my right to take counter measures against this increasing, dangerous distraction.
They blind me, I'm going to blind them, simple.

Last edited by xray99; 12-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
dodge-gurl
Exclamation halo projecter headlights

well i am a new dodge owner and i would like to replace my headlights with halo headlights and i was wanting to know how to do so and how hard it is to do??? can someone please help me???

Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
quackaddict
Veteran

I am new here but have learned quickly you guys will beat semantics to death.

Opinions are like elbows everbody's got a couple.

Happens on every website I have been, you aren't going to change people's minds if they believe something. Like discussing motor oil or blonde or brunette. Everyone looks at things differently accept it and move on instead of being jerks to each other. I see where both sides are coming from and I hate to break it to you guys.................nobody is wrong here that is why we live in the greatest country in the world we can have an opinion and believe something and nobody can tell you you are wrong and make you change your mind.

Could we return this thread to what the OP wanted if you can't add something useful let it go.

Rant comlete.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by xray99
Not being sarcastic really, just making my point in a colorful way that not 1 single person has or will ever install a set of blinders with thoughts of efficiency dancing through their heads - And BTW, these are much more likely to cause an accident than avoid one.
Same blinding effect that people get driving into a rising or setting sun, you are very vulnerable with that wash out of vision, and I've long ago taken to just putting my brights on and leaving them on until I pass these jokers with blinders.

I don't begrudge you or anyone else their opinions, and its your perfect right to do as you please, just as it is my right to take counter measures against this increasing, dangerous distraction.
They blind me, I'm going to blind them, simple.
Your going to be doing a lot of flashing because the simple truth is HID's are going to replace halogens just like halogens replaced the regular standard filament bulb And yes I bet a lot of people probably said the same thing about how bright and distracting halogens were compared to the old school dim bulbs...
Honestly I dont know how you could say they are blinding when so many oem vehicles are already using them but hey your right its your opinion and your entitled to it..

As far as mine They are only a distraction to me when I see the installed in the old frosted/textured glass halogen housings that deflect a ton of light of the inside surface of the lense..(sorry to those who have this setup its true and thats the reason they have a bad rap and that setup is illegal).the simple truth is the projector style lenses that usually accompany HID's have a very focused beam thats pointed down at the road and unless your in some weird position down below the cutoff line they arent shining in your face any more than normal lights.and the non projector hid's have a defector to block any direct light from shining outside the intended path and a clear housing to keep the beam focused ..if they were they wouldnt be legal period. Can I tell the difference between the two usually yes but it their any real danger or distraction other than my curiosity....no

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-28-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge-gurl
well i am a new dodge owner and i would like to replace my headlights with halo headlights and i was wanting to know how to do so and how hard it is to do??? can someone please help me???
they are easy to install they sell them in both HID and halogen form (both halo projector style like the new Lincolns and bmw's use)
some including the ones I bought require so wiring but honestly its very simple and anyone with simple wiring ability can do it....

Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by quackaddict
I am new here but have learned quickly you guys will beat semantics to death.

Opinions are like elbows everbody's got a couple.

Happens on every website I have been, you aren't going to change people's minds if they believe something. Like discussing motor oil or blonde or brunette. Everyone looks at things differently accept it and move on instead of being jerks to each other. I see where both sides are coming from and I hate to break it to you guys.................nobody is wrong here that is why we live in the greatest country in the world we can have an opinion and believe something and nobody can tell you you are wrong and make you change your mind.

Could we return this thread to what the OP wanted if you can't add something useful let it go.

Rant comlete.
very true but its very helpful to separate fiction from fact...its helps when other are forming opinions....
I imagine similar argument happened between those who thought the horseless carriage was a nuisance to others as well as a dangerous and distracting machine to their horse and carriages... but as you can see progress will happen regardless of prejuduce and the opinion of the minority..

The funny thing is so many will speak out about how bad anoying and dangerous somthing as silly as HID headlights are but they dont think twice about adding more fog or driving lights which can be just as distracting.....or cutting out the cat to make the truck more noisy and distracting (yes attention=distracting) which is there by law for a very sound and environmentally responsible reason..the mentality here baffles me?.. HID's are more efficient making them also a better choice thinking ahead....that 3-5 gallons of fuel a year multiplied by the millions of cars on the road each year equals a hell of lot of gas saved...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-28-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 AM
99redram318
Professional

haha I'm done with this thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:07 AM
dommaisano
Rookie

so i didnt look into it b4 i bought my headlights and hids i got the ccfl projectors and i called a shop to have them put on and they said "check and c if the headlights u got r able to have HIDs in them cuz some of the housings will melt with HIDs cuz they get to hott and will actualy melt plastic or the glass over the projector!" that just what i heard and thought id share in case anyone else is looking and ordering some or make the same mistake i did :/

Quick Reply: headlights and HIDs