2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift blocks and body mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
011500Ram
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You asked for advice, I gave it. It's, BEYOND self explanitory. Go lay under your truck and stare at your suspension for a while. It will all make sense then. Also, search. ALL of this has been discussed hundreds of times before.

That isn't my shackle by the way. My shackles are bonestock. No sense in messing with them because im totally removing them eventually.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

viper that^ looks like a great product for a trail rig but, not 4 haulin

Name:  IMG_1907.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  110.3 KB

^ but now lookin at the concurve of the leaf(conpared to stock) looks that it has lost alot load strength

but thank you for postin that pic's and link i have learnt sumthing today

Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
viper that^ looks like a great product for a trail rig but, not 4 haulin

^ but now lookin at the concurve of the leaf(conpared to stock) looks that it has lost alot load strength
You can't have both.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not getting it either how its going to get bent into an S......have some pics or sumthin?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
im not getting it either how its going to get bent into an S......have some pics or sumthin?
1.Install short shackle
2.Install camera underneath
3. Jump Truck
4. ???
5. Profit!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Apparently its not a arkansas thing and we can't figure it out...

I listened to geniuses advice and I'm still setting under neath my truck with my laptop trying to understand.... my 32 on the ACT can't help me with this problem.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess my 32 aint helpin either......

please take the pic i posted and point out to us where the S comes into play.......

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
The two inch lift shackles for these trucks are made out of Crappy Chinese steel, in China. So which is worse, a China shackle made by a 14 year old (one of those on this forum there is) or the OEM shackle in a different hanger?

If that isn't enough to deter you, let me continue.

I'm not talking about add a leaf. Add a leaf is a lazy, stupid way to lift a vehicle. Shackle lifts are fantastic for lots of other vehicles, but not these. The hangers on these trucks are all wrong for a shackle lift. I already posted images of the type of hanger you want.

Shackle lifts do not change the capacity of the truck, they only change the angle, and height of the back of the pack. Think about it. If you drop one end of the leaf, while compressing it from the same point, not only will you get an eccentric angle/load being applied to the leaf, it will literally bend the leaf into an S every time you load/bottom out/jump, whatever.

There are nothing wrong with shackle lifts, just not with our factory Hangers.
I think your reaching a bit with the made in china comment....most everything is made there now days besides if you go by that way of thinging the whole trucks already a pos cause most of the 1500 were made in mexico by what 15 year olds? lol and do you really thing the big three use all american steel....come on its made the same place most of the aftermarket lift kits are made.
fact is while the shackle lift may not be as ideal in all applications as say a totally new lifted suspension its still a safer and better alternative to blocks and offers better ride quality and flexibility than add a leafs. I really dont see the point about them being dangerous at all..find some proof or article showing it on these trucks? You claim its been covered already ... They are just like the ones already on the truck only slightly shorter ? they dont change much of anything as far as spring movement if anything they would seem to make the spring stronger?
Not everyone can afford nor do they want to spend more on a lift than the resale value of they old trucks.... as long as its safe and your not going to use it for serious offroading it can be a waste to go full lift as you can use the money for regearing or the constant maint costs...I agree if your going to stuff 35" tire or other serious meats under the truck more $$ need s to be invested in things like gears to do it right but for 2" I myself see nothing wrong with the shackle lift

Old 12-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Augie explain to me why the shackle won't work with the stock hangar?

Things to do: Call University of Arkansas and tell them to drop my full ride and that I'm not coming anymore because apparently I'm a idiot.

Dang it's cold underneath this truck...

Plus augie for the record 011500ram said theres nothing wrong with shackles but our hangars arn't good for them... Were just trying to figure out how come... It hasn't clicked for me yet...

Last edited by Gav1n8; 12-29-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess my 32 aint helpin either......

please take the pic i posted and point out to us where the S comes into play.......
neithers my 135 IQ?.....lol seriously the pic of the truck posted earlier was lifted a lot higher than 2" in the rear...the pics posted of the spring mounts were the front spring mounts and these go on the rear replacing the slightly longer ones?

Quick Reply: Lift blocks and body mod