2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift blocks and body mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
neithers my 135 IQ?.....lol seriously the pic of the truck posted earlier was lifted a lot higher than 2" in the rear...the pics posted of the spring mounts were the front spring mounts and these go on the rear replacing the slightly longer ones?
EXACTLY! Thats what I can't figure out... I'm trying to figure out why you have to change the front hangar, or maybe both front and back hangars need to be changed, even if its the back ones im stumped.... Damn 28 degree weather... I'm going to die underneath this truck..

Old 12-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

theres another popular mod it seems on other dodge forums called a shackle flip.....I could see those flettening out the springs and possibly causing issues... some of the pics look pretty scary...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gav1n8
EXACTLY! Thats what I can't figure out... I'm trying to figure out why you have to change the front hangar, or maybe both front and back hangars need to be changed, even if its the back ones im stumped.... Damn 28 degree weather... I'm going to die underneath this truck..

youre fixin to get snowed on

Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
youre fixin to get snowed on
Way to rub it in... It's actually going to hit you and were getting crappy rain... When I get older I'm moving up in fayetteville so I will actually get more snow... We still have snow from Christmas though. I've been riding the **** out of my ltr450

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Take that pinstripe off!!! Debadge, take off the chrome, and body mouldings. Your truck will look 10x better!

+1 get rid of that stuff, and im considering rhinoing that part on my truck also.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain

whats so bad about a AAL? after hearing all this confusion aver shackles, im shying away from all that

Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

add a leafs are considered a cheap way out though its a lot better idea then stacking blocks... Theres better ways to do it... But all the confusion is 011500ram I think is thinking of a shackle flip which is not what were talking about... I'm pretty sure a shackle lift just replaces the old shackles and lifts it up 2 inches... I'm searching google like a mad man trying to figure it out.

You can do a bds shackle FLIP which can acheive you 5 inches of lift by simply flipping the shackles but you need new hangars to do this... You can buy the kit from bds for about $250. It is a very safe way to lift the rear... But the shackle lifts on ebay I'm pretty sure only lift your truck 2 inches and you don't do the shackle flip and can use your stock hangars... Shackle lift is apparently a safer way than add a leafs. Though add a leafs are fine IMO.... I wouldn't do blocks but I know people that have stacked them with no major problems...

Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories
These shackles are basically what dakotas ram posted earlier... I contacted some people who run circles around me and they said that you don't need new hangars with these. They said your an idiot if you think you need new hangars so take that how you want to. That it will simply lift the rear up 2 inches as I, augie, and dakota thought. 011500ram was thinking of a shackle flip (though he probly had no idea he was) where you do need new hangars as it turns the shackles from a 12 oclock angle to a 7oclock angle...

Thanks 011500ram for making me freeze my *** off under my truck... Its snowing now

Last edited by Gav1n8; 12-29-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
+1 get rid of that stuff, and im considering rhinoing that part on my truck also.
one bad thing about the rhinoliner on the rockers/in the sills is ice biulds up and sticks to the unsmooth surface bad everytime I open the door i think im gonna rip some of the rhinoliner and paint right off....

Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Gav1n8
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...Q5fAccessories
These shackles are basically what dakotas ram posted earlier... I contacted some people who run circles around me and they said that you don't need new hangars with these. They said your an idiot if you think you need new hangars so take that how you want to. That it will simply lift the rear up 2 inches as I, augie, and dakota thought. 011500ram was thinking of a shackle flip (though he probly had no idea he was) where you do need new hangars as it turns the shackles from a 12 oclock angle to a 7oclock angle...

Thanks 011500ram for making me freeze my *** off under my truck... Its snowing now
glad you figured it out...I was looking at pics (google) to try and find it myself....lol..I was out bending over under my truck in a bath robe and we got 3 inches today... aal's make your spring pack thicker and stiffen them making the ride quality harder and stiffer...like a heavy duty 2500....and its possible if you overload the truck it could cause the weight on the springs to not be as evenly distributed in theory causing the top spring to shatter at one of the ends (becomes a weaker point with more pressure on it) ...but I think it would have to be an extreme case of overloading and even then I may be wrong...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-29-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift blocks and body mod