2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lift blocks and body mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:03 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift blocks and body mod

Alright I got two questions here Im looking at getting 4 inch blocks for the rear of my truck cause I got 3" spacers in front. Im just gonna toss the stock blocks so im not stcking them. On the top gunz custom site it has a set with u bolts for $75 but it says there only for 2wheel drive models. Whats the diffrence between 2 and 4 wheel models? wouldnt it be the same seeing as how its in the rear anyways. Also im thinking about when the weather gets nice debadging my truck and taking off the body trim and rhino lining the silver part. Im also thinking about taking the pinstriping off and painting the top plastic piece of my bumper red or black and the bottom black. How do you think this would look?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Also im thinking about when the weather gets nice debadging my truck and taking off the body trim and rhino lining the silver part. Im also thinking about taking the pinstriping off and painting the top plastic piece of my bumper red or black and the bottom black. How do you think this would look?
Take that pinstripe off!!! Debadge, take off the chrome, and body mouldings. Your truck will look 10x better!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran

I like the chrome tho. After I get the important stuff fixed like my axle seals and plenum Im gonna get all sorts of chrome goodies for it Door handles tailgate handle gas door. Im not sure if I wanna do the black on the bottom or leave it And I dont know if it would look right if I took the trim off seeing as how the chrome on the fender are the short one and dont cover the whole wheel well.

Last edited by rwilhelms; 12-28-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im pretty sure those blocks are the same

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shackle lift it. It's easier and safer. Cost the same. Ebay shackle lift. Theres DIY links throughout google. If you got a jack, and a BFH (big Fing hammer) you can do it.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Yes I do have a jack and a BFH. I never even herd of a shackle lift before. Guess I should look into it. From what I read on google there an easy way of lifting a vehicle in back. But I also read that it limits the travel of the rear suspension. Is this true? I also couldnt find any DIY links through there

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

Yeah I hadn't either till augie recommended them to a couple of people... I looked into it and found out that one of my buds has a shackle lift and though I didn't ask him about ride quality he does go mudding with us and he flexes and stuff just fine... I always though he had a leaf spring lift. I don't think you will be disappointed with one. I personally don't have any experience with them but all reviews have been good that I have heard.

http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-expl...-shackles.html

Thats just one of the first links I saw when I searched how to install shackles into google

Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Alright thanks Ill definatley be looking into it. I just gotta get the credit card paid off from christmas first. Also what do you think I shouold do with the body of the truck?

Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

our shackles are completely different than that....on ours, you get shorter ones to lift it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lift-...Q5fAccessories

Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM
011500Ram
Banned

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
our shackles are completely different than that....on ours, you get shorter ones to lift it....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lift-...Q5fAccessories
Yeah, if you want to bend the leaf into an "S". That's a horrid way to do a shackle lift.

To properly shackle lift on these trucks, you need an entirely new hanger, one that is not cupped at the bottom. Different shackles as well.

Quick Reply: Lift blocks and body mod