2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cmckenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you manage to always be second from the left?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Is that directed at me?????
yes

I was wondering that myself

Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Guess I was "out there" then.

Second from left next to Mike Tramp from White Lion and Ron Young from Little Ceasar

Second from left between CC Deville and Bret Michaels from Poison

Second from left with Rikki Rockett from Poison

No guyliner, but I was a headbanging biker back then. I gotta agree, though, most of the music sucked.
Yeah, the music wasn't the same. I used to play Ed Van Halen in a tribute band called Diver Down on the East Coast. I can actually play guitar very well, build all my own amps and guitars too. I auditioned for Ozzy when RR passed away. I actually like his music and some of VH's stuff during that time period.

I used to teach guitar and remember when Metallica and Megadeth hit the scene. I liked Megadeth's guitarists and the drumming was top notch. I remember lots being into Ratt, Dio, Iron Maiden, Dokken, Tesla, Whitesnake etc.

I also remember when Joe Satriani and Steve Via hit the scene right after Malmsteen did. I have those on vinyl. Good stuff there. There were some great guitarists that were mind blowing including Van Halen. That guy had the best sound in town. Modded Marshalls and run on 11 and just screaming guitar playing. He and Hendrix really pushed the guitar playing to that ultra loud, in your face, ***** to the wall playing.

I have met Tony Iommi while in Germany on a trip out to the NAMM show in Frankfurt. I also got to jam with M. Jacksons drummer and keyboardist.

That was back in the mid 90s. I still play, have a full blown studio at the house out here in So Cal that I am working on and intend to make some music later this year after returning from the east coast.

CM

Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think of the current stuff?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415
CMCKENNA...I think he'd make a good mod. He seems like a well tempered individual who know's his stuff...just giving credit where credit's due
Thanks. The thing is, with me, I don't like to deal with the banter that goes on in forums. I just like to post some information and avoid the nonsense. If I were a mod, I don't think it would suit me well as, I am not into managing a group of arguing people. That's why I like being an engineer, you don't have to deal with personnel issues. I had managed a group of 15 at one time and hated it. I had to deal with all their issues and complaints and found them to be unreasonable at times as well as arguing over someone who forgot to turn a soldering iron off before leaving for the day. It felt like baby sitting to me. I hated it.

I work well solo and in group efforts and, I can handle arguments and such, but, the gossip crap and arguing over nothing really bothers me. When people come to me and complain, I tell them not to involve me. That way, I am free of that, bad mouthing and, they can't turn around and use that against me in the workplace. This creates animosity. Then, the next thing is people start to gang up and single out somebody. I hate that crap.

I am not good at dealing with that and, in my opinion, I don't think I would be a good mod.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my dad used to play this song in his band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8_CTWQDpU

Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by halfamil
I think it all sounds the same. I had worked at places where the younger interns would have their music going. I have listened to all kinds of stuff from about 2004 until now and, to my ears, the bands have the same sound more or less.

Metallica was re-hashed Black Sabbath riffs but, at least they had their own sound. You can tell right away who it is. Same with Megadeth, they had their own sound and style mixed with classical guitar oriented metal.

Now, it's not like that. I have a friend who's wife works in the industry. She knows Sharon and Oz and the new bands. The record companies are taking control of the image and look. It's all designed to sell but, it's short lived as it has a very short life span.

I have listened to Avenged Sevenfold to Foo Fighters (like them) to Nirvana (like them too) to the Orange Clowny punk rock type bands (they all look the same- same pointy - spikey hair do) that play Gibson guitars and are usually playing record label / spnsored black SGs or Les Pauls while using Mesa Boogie triple rectifier setups etc, it's cookie cutter to me.

Then, on DTV, I note all blond girls that look similar, dress similar and have similar sounding songs. You've got Lady GaGa with her own style of dress and fashion, then you've got Aguilara, Spears, and what's her face...ah, I can't determine who's who anymore. To me, they all look the same.

I recall listening to Chevelle on the way to work while carpooling. That and, hubastank or some s-h-i-t, I don't remember but, it all had the same sound. It was a good sound though as the recording was mint but, song wise, it was tough to tell who was who even after listening to it for a while. Rage was good, had their own sound and were identifiable at least. I liked some of their stuff as well.

I listen to all kinds of music from old blues, to jazz, to metal to the classic rock stuff, so, my tastes in music are very broad.

I like the techno stuff by Crystal Method, NIN, Moby so, some of the stuff is interesting music wise but, as a band impact and having something remarkable to deliver, it falls short. It's interesting but, I am not going back to listen to it months from now never mind 40 years from it's creation point. That's the difference today. It's not long term stuff that keeps you coming back. That's how I feel about the new stuff. It's not that bad but, it just doesn't keep my interest for very long.

Last edited by cmckenna; 01-05-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That will be the title of my memoir.

I was deep in the Hollywood Harley scene at the time and many rockers were either friends or customers of my Harley shop. Don Dokken, Lenny Wolf (Kingdom Come), Lemmy (Motorhead), Joey Allen (Warrant), Randy Castillo (Ozzy Osbourne), Slash, Chad Smith and Dave Navarro (Chili Peppers), Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee (Motley Crue) among others, were all guys I rode with or hung out in the clubs with. This was at the height of legendary clubs like The Cathouse, Bordello, Li'l Sister, Cabaret and, of course, The Rainbow... The guys from Guns and Roses used to be passed out in the lobby of the rehearsal studio we rented before they hit it big in '88. Slash and I were friends for awhile until I moved out of Hollywood. I went from drumming in bands and working as a studio musician to being Poison's drum tech in '89. I painted a custom drum set for Rikki in 1990 for the Native Tongue tour.

This is me doing sound check on it on tour. It appeared in several videos, as well.
Name:  Drumset.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  37.8 KB

When my Harley shop got really busy in '91 I pretty much walked away from the music biz, but many of the Harley-riding rockers brought their bikes to me to work on or customize, including Bruce Springsteen, who I built a custom bike for in 1994. It was a magical time in Hollywood and I'm glad to have been right in the middle of it. The Sunset Strip was alive almost every night with the sound of our Harleys running up and down it. I could write a book about those times if I ever put my mind to it. So many memories...

Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
halfamil
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter(11yo) loves Lady GaGa.To me, she is very techno sounding, until she plays her piano. Very creative and entertaining.I can listen to Coldplay, but I'd rather hear some Ten Years After or Deep Purple.I was raised on hillbilly and old country.My Dad was a Hillbilly fiddler and taught me to follow him on guitar.His Dad was a great fiddler,many times Alabama Grand Champion in the 20's and 30's.My Daughter started piano lessons back in June and loves it.Her Teacher say's she is very tallanted.We are playing some simple songs together.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, you guys really go back!

Originally Posted by halfamil
I have to agree with Chris. Most of the new stuff sounds the same. I may be young, but I listen to the older stuff like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Lynard Skynard, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Ted Nugent, Tom Petty, Van Halen, Scorpions, and AC/DC. Its what my parents grew up listening to, and I kinda picked up on that. My mom used to sing "The Rain Song" by Zeppelin to me when I was a baby! But I also enjoy some of the new stuff too, as long as it has good riffs and isnt too genaric. I cant stand the hip-hop crap.

Quick Reply: Cmckenna