2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problem after running tank near empty

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
eslock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after running tank near empty

Backround: 1999 1500 4x4 5.2 (Cat Back, KN Cold Air, Fastman TB)

The fuel gauge is very unreliable and the other day on the highway I almost ran out of gas. I made it to a gas station but on the shoulder going about 30 mph with my flashers on. The motor was hating me and I could def hear it.

After fueling up and getting back on the highway my check engine light came on and I could tell she was missing or I was down a cylinder or two. Took it to advanced and ran the code and sure enough "multiple cylinder misfire" so I figured when i was running out of gas it sucked up a ton of gunk and muck from the bottom of the tank.

Possible problems, Fuel Injectors are clogged? Fouled Spark Plugs? These are what I was thinking what about you guys?

Next to fix the problem I was going to go ahead and change wires, plugs, and cap. Then run some of the chevron fuel system clean through it...unless you guys know of a better fuel treatment?? And possible even put seafoam through it?? Is this a good idea? What would you guys do here?

Thanks a lot I appreciate the help.

Eric

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seafoam i'm not sure about but somebody on here will chime up on it, however, my suggestion is that i would strongly suggest that you clean the injectors, plugs i would be iffy about but hey it won't hurt and the fuel filter as i am sure its probably near its expiration after sucking up the bottom of the gas tank. but that's my $.02.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
97black_ram
Captain

I would just start with some gas treatment and run it for a while and if it doesnt clear up try plugs. I now NAPA cleans injectors cause thats where I took mine to get them cleaned.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
halfamil
All Star

Does it run well with a full tank now?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you probably sucked all the sediment from the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter in the tank...I did this on my jeep a few times (fuel gauge also messed up) and had to replace the filter...yours is built into the fuel pump I believe...

Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

they are built into the pump....and same thing happened to my dads old 96 5.2 2wd...he tried dry gas and it worked.....

Old 01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You might have sucked in some sediment, but you also could have overheated the pump. Running the truck out of gas bleeds out what cools the pump, gasoline. Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to determine if your pump is on it's way out or not. IIRC the PSI should be around 50 PSI.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
kf4ayw
Amateur

Check the plugs for fowling... that was my misfire problem.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
yakkier
Banned

Sock filter is clogged, drop the tank put it a after market fuel pump and save your self the trouble in the future and just put in a cheap inline fuel filter that way you wont have to drop the tank again to change the fuel filters. Our trucks have sock filters which you cant change with out changing the fuel pump it self

Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
ophidia
Captain

Put a double dose of Techron and a can of Seafoam in a full tank. I'll bet this will take care of the issue. Been there, done that. That'll eat up all the crap and get you back to the way it was running before.

Quick Reply: Problem after running tank near empty