2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What in the world happened to my CAT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 PM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What in the world happened to my CAT?

I was just browsing through some pictures i took of the truck when i first got it, and found the one i took of the CAT. Anyone have any idea what might have happened to it? Is there any danger of driving with it in this condition?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

just cause an exhaust leak...might set off the CEL due o 02 sensor not measuring proper flow, and that could cause it to run rough if the 02 sensor gets faulty readings

kinda looks like someone cut into it, gutted it (maybe) and attempted to put the piece back on...

Old 01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie

Could that cause a rough idle from a cold start? My truck starts alright, but a minute after it starts the whole truck starts to shake, and i have to rev the engine so it will not die.

EDIT: After the engine warms up (visibly on the temperature guage) i do not have any problems.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

well you could have a bad plenum gasket, and thats whats causing that...............every 2nd gen ram gas engine will have the plenum gasket blow out

Old 01-23-2010, 06:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's a gutted cat where someone cut it open, took out the stuffing, and welded it back up. i hope the holes are where its rusted out, and they didn't leave it that way.

i suspect it sounds like crap with those holes in it, but it shouldn't hurt the way it runs any. i'd guess you have some other problem causing your rough idle.

fixing your cat depends on whether you have emissions testing or not. if you want to fix the cat, you could have an aftermarket cat installed for a couple of hundred. or you could bolt/weld in one on your own for half that. or you could bolt/weld in a straight pipe for very little.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my cat looks identical! I assume the previous owner cut it just like yours, hollowed er out, and welded it back up. I noticed a small spot about 1/4 inch that they missed and I keep meanin to hit it with my welder sometime I'm under there

edit: looked at your pic again and mine is cut on the opposite side, but same thing

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM
98Blue-Ram
Rookie

Upon doing a quick google search, Michigan has no emissions testing. I am also in need of a new muffler; What would be the best option here without breaking the bank?

This is what the whole muffler looks like, and there is a fist sized hole on the other side.

Thanks everyone

Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

worst case - mufflers and pipe can turn into tar babies, where everything is eat up with rust, and you end up replacing pipes and everything. or sure as hell as soon as your done, the pipes develop holes.

i'd start by visitiing or calling a couple of small muffler shops, and ask - hey if i cut off the old cat and muffler, will you install a muffler only. most all muffler shops will NOT cut off a cat and not replace it (huge fine), but a lot of them will sell you a muffler and weld it on if YOU cut off the cat and they never see it or touch it. find one that will do that with new pipes as needed and weld in the o2 bungs. maybe 150 or so including quiet muffler and pipes.

the other option is to measure your pipes, buy a muffler, a length of pipe, and some clamps and bungs. cut the old stuff out. put in a straight pipe where your cat is and weld in 02 bungs, and replace your muffler.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
yakkier
Banned

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
that's a gutted cat where someone cut it open, took out the stuffing, and welded it back up. i hope the holes are where its rusted out, and they didn't leave it that way.

i suspect it sounds like crap with those holes in it, but it shouldn't hurt the way it runs any. i'd guess you have some other problem causing your rough idle.

fixing your cat depends on whether you have emissions testing or not. if you want to fix the cat, you could have an aftermarket cat installed for a couple of hundred. or you could bolt/weld in one on your own for half that. or you could bolt/weld in a straight pipe for very little.

^1+ at home horsepower gone wrong.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

flowmasters is a good brand. Ive never found any of there mufflers to be to pricey for what you get

Quick Reply: What in the world happened to my CAT?