2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So what makes throttle body spacers not work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010 | 04:44 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

Sorry to revive a couple day old thread, been really busy as of late with work. Getting a sort of promotion, and learning a lot and working a lot more than usual.

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
The TBs that are already on our rams are 52mm holleys.
I believe thats incorrect. I believe they are tapered 50mm TBs, otherwise the Fastman wouldn't be able to modify stockers to straight 50mm.

This thread is really good, I agree, I think I will bookmark it and show it to every new forum member that swears by their TB spacer.

Last edited by jasonw; 02-11-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2010 | 04:47 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by jasonw
Sorry to revive a couple day old thread, been really busy as of late with work. Getting a sort of promotion, and learning a lot and working a lot more than usual.

I believe thats incorrect. I believe they are tapered 50mm TBs, otherwise the Fastman wouldn't be able to modify stockers to straight 50mm.
Aren't the stockers a 50mm to 48mm taper that Fastman bores out to a straight 50mm?

Old 02-11-2010 | 04:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator

I believe thats right, yes. I couldn't remember if it was 48 or 47 it was tapered to, but makes no difference.

Old 02-11-2010 | 04:51 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Aren't the stockers a 50mm to 48mm taper that Fastman bores out to a straight 50mm?
Yes.

Old 02-11-2010 | 10:49 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jasonw

This thread is really good, I agree, I think I will bookmark it and show it to every new forum member that swears by their TB spacer.
Ahh, my mistake. I thought they were 52mm that tapered to a 50, then Fastman bored it to a striaght 52.

Old 08-17-2010 | 03:05 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Sorry to revive an old thread (although extremely good for those of us who want to learn), but I just wanted to clarify for myself...

So ALL carbed motors, a tb spacer would be beneficial because it atomizes the fuel?

The same goes for chevys FI motors for the same reason?

On anything else FI for the most part, it would not do anything.

Direct cylinder FI would be into the combustion chamber or the cylinder itself.

TBI is straight into the Throttle body, such as a chevy.

MPFI is straight into the ports themselves, such as our magnum engines.

Are there any other types of FI? What are some examples of them?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2010 | 03:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Anything that puts fuel into the air stream BEFORE the TB spacer may see some benefit. Anything that puts fuel into the air stream AFTER the TB spacer will see no benefit at all.

GM throttle body injection has the injectors right ON the throttle body...... the throttle body on our trucks serves pretty much the same purpose, however, as our injectors are WELL after where the spacer would be, there is zero benefit to spending money on one. Well, ok, zero benefit to the purchaser, the seller puts the money in his pocket, and smiles.

Old 08-17-2010 | 03:38 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Anything that puts fuel into the air stream BEFORE the TB spacer may see some benefit. Anything that puts fuel into the air stream AFTER the TB spacer will see no benefit at all.

GM throttle body injection has the injectors right ON the throttle body...... the throttle body on our trucks serves pretty much the same purpose, however, as our injectors are WELL after where the spacer would be, there is zero benefit to spending money on one. Well, ok, zero benefit to the purchaser, the seller puts the money in his pocket, and smiles.
So essentially the throttle body doesnt do anything with the fuel in our engines, as it would go straight to the ports and then through the combustion process? Or do I have this all wrong?

Old 08-17-2010 | 03:54 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

The throttle body on our engines does nothing more than meter the air going into the intake.

On a carbureted engine, a phenolic spacer that isolates the fuel bowls from engine heat works well -- same principle as the old Thermo-Quad carbs. On port injected engines all throttle body spacers are worthless.

Quick Reply: So what makes throttle body spacers not work?