2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel line quick connetor leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Brooklyn_kid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Robert, if you look at these pics here, these are male inlets (protrusions) at the rails and, this is standard with fuel setups. This is how those types of fuel rails are setup- male inlets. Same with the fuel pump- it has a male protrusion that the line mates with.

So, I am not sure if your confusing inlet with fittings or vice versa but, I am somewhat sure this is the case here. I just referred to my manual here and it too, shows the later years are still using male inlets at the rails so, there's not been a change over to a female inlet. You have a female FITTING that couples to the male INLET. Not, that you've got a female INLET and a male FITTING.

Same with racing lines that I run- those are the same exact way- you will not find a female fitting at the rail inlet- ever. Male inlets to a female fitting - this is the standard to couple a fuel line to a fuel rail.

There's two types of failsafe clips and they are as follows:

1. Type 1: which is a single latch type that has a tie back to tether the failsafe mechanism to the line.

2. Type 2: is a dual type of latch that is NOT tethered to the line. This type of latch snaps into place and, has two separate latches which are easily identifiable.

See Pic below.

IN BOTH cases, you will need a special tool to remove the lines once the failsafe clips have been removed.

CM
I know this is an ooooooooold thread, but I have the same issue as the OP except that it's an 04 5.7 with the style in the top picture. Had somebody swap the engine for me and apparently they didn't use the correct tool to remove the quick connect and/or damaged the O-rings. Also apparently, Mopar discontinued those hoses (all I need is the braided section but they used to have it as a bundle). So can anybody tell me please if there's an aftermarket part a can get instead of the braided section AND what would be the correct O-rings so I can try that first.

Thanks in advance, and happy independence weekend to all!

Old 07-05-2020, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Best bet is to take out one of the existing o-rings, take it to the parts store, and have them match it up. See how many are in there.... (might be two....) replace all of them.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Brooklyn_kid

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Best bet is to take out one of the existing o-rings, take it to the parts store, and have them match it up. See how many are in there.... (might be two....) replace all of them.
Would be great if I can get the correct size from someone with knowledge just in case the ones that are in there are of the wrong size as I do know the shop did a nasty job on other parts of my engine swap. I don't trust that they put back the correct ones if they did decide to replace them.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

My bet would be, they did NOT replace them, and that's why you now have a leak. Generally, you don't need to replace them..... but, as they age..... or or removed/installed several times, things break down.

I don't know if dodge lists the o-rings separately anywhere..... I don't think they do.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Brooklyn_kid

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My bet would be, they did NOT replace them, and that's why you now have a leak. Generally, you don't need to replace them..... but, as they age..... or or removed/installed several times, things break down.

I don't know if dodge lists the o-rings separately anywhere..... I don't think they do.
I understand you 100%, I'm just afraid they did replace it/them but used whatever they had on hand. Unfortunately this would be just 1 more thing in the long list of mess-ups.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brooklyn_kid
I understand you 100%, I'm just afraid they did replace it/them but used whatever they had on hand. Unfortunately this would be just 1 more thing in the long list of mess-ups.
Yeah, they don't have the best reputation with you do they. I get where you are coming from.

Went digging thru the parts diagram, and nope, Dodge/Ram don't list the o-rings separately. Might want to start a thread in the third gen ram section, and see if anyone there knows......

Quick Reply: Fuel line quick connetor leak