2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I am diving in, wish me luck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Whaack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bleed the pressure off before disassembly? Pull the fuel pump relay, start the engine, and run it till it quits. There will still be a bit of pressure, but, not much. Let it sit for an hour, and it should bleed off. (should)

When you go to restart the engine after you are done, just cycle the key four or five times, such that the fuel pump primes when you turn the ignition to "on". It will bleed the air out itself.
Woops. I already have pretty much everything apart. How much pressure are we talking if I just discount the fuel line?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

At this point? probably very little, wrap a rag around it, and release the line, that way, if there IS pressure, it won't spray everywhere. should bleed off fairly quickly once you have the line opened up.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Whaack
Rookie

Originally Posted by sungod
It is a very common tool. You can find it at any parts store. It should look something like this:

You just clamp it around the fue line and push it into the connector while pushing the connector forward then pull back on the connector and it should come off. Dont force it. It should be real easy.
Ok, how in the hell do I use these things????? I take it that I wrap the clamp around the full line that is closes to the fuel rail but then what??

Also, how in the heck to I get the TB off with the cable attached to it. Sorry, I am a rookie trying to tackle this thing.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

The tool should have an 'extended' reach, that you push into the connector, to release the 'fingers' that hold it in. Wrap it around, push it in, then the line should pull out fairly easily. If there is a bunch of crap in there..... might not work as well as you would like. Might try shooting some penetrating lubricant in there first.

Cables should disconnect from the throttle arm by pushing them in the opposite direction of what they pull. Or some such. Should be relatively easy to get them off. Then, separate them from the bracket, or, unbolt the whole bracket, (if you can) and just set them out of the way.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

for the fuel line, i just pulled the fuel pump relay, had the truck crank for about 15 seconds, and thats it, went right to work, didnt have to wait or anything...with me doing that, only a teaspoon or 2 of gas came out...very little.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Whaack
Rookie

Thanks for all the help. I went back out and messed with the fuel line a bit and figured it out. The TB I just unbolted and moved out of the way of the kegger.

Kegger is out and sure enough plenum was blown. Tons of oil pooled up. Done for the night and gonna pick it back up in the morn. Taking lots of pics so I will upload them all when I am done.

PS-Pretty proud of myself since I have never taken apart an engine to even close this much before.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep up the good work!

I'm here for the pics

Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

hey IMO you should have a machine shop clean the manifold, i paid 40 bucks, and my manifold was new inside and out...all silver, not one spec of black....look at my profile, i have pics.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Was just gonna add in there, when we did the plenum on buddies 5.9L, we didn't know what they fuel pressure release blah blah was, so we just unscrewed the fuel filler cap, thinking it would release the fuel system pressure. When we pulled the fuel lines, nothing sprayed out, so it musta worked.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

couldn't the pressure be relieved through the schrader valve? Maybe a bit messier, but I've done that several times on various cars....

Quick Reply: I am diving in, wish me luck!