2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid plenum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you certain you have them lubricated properly? Also, I rolled them on to my injectors and then inserted them in their respective bungs. I then followed up with some extra lubricant for the uppers and then installed the fuel rail. It takes time to work each one in place and for it to *fit* just right.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:38 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I've seen a few different places that say it is better to have the IAT in the tube on the air box instead of inside the intake.
Yeah, they say it's "free horsepower" and I've seen several sources who promote doing it. I'm not inclined to do the research to prove it, but it seems logical that what it does is adjust the mixture to be a bit richer and advance the ignition timing a tad. I can get those things done with the SCT tuner if I want them done, without drilling a hole to become the site of a future vibration stress failure of my FIPK.

The only reason I even think about things like that is the hours I've spent reviewing high speed video of mechanical assemblies riding a shake table. I'm probably overly cautious these days and almost certainly overthinking the matter. But when it goes on my truck it's my strange mind that wants peace so I'll indulge myself rather than spend time and money on mental health care that could otherwise have been spent on my truck.

None of this is to suggest that the good folks at Hughes don't know what they're talking about, as I'm sure they know a lot more about these engines than I do.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "free horsepower" deal I've seen regarding the IAT is to install a resistor in the IAT pigtail to fool the PCM into thinking that the incoming air is 52º and it only works in the summer. It's an ebay special.

I figured out what happened to make my injector leak.
Can you see what I did there?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so hows the truck running with the airgap !

Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

It's been parked since I got it back together because I've been working the last couple nights. Hopefully it isn't raining this evening so I can get my dad to stand guard with the fire extinguisher while I bleed the cooling system.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Well so much for bleeding the cooling system.
I cut the truck on to double check for fuel leaks and sure enough, I had one.
That stupid cross over fuel line on the rail is leaking.
Now I need to figure out which hose I need to get from the parts store. Anyone know?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Replaced the crossover line with a rubber 300psi fuel line and double clamped it with fuel injection clamps then cranked it up after drying the gas up and quadruple checking for fuel leaks.
It ran great, and wasn't leaking gas so I added coolant when the thermostat opened (it only opened once for some reason), it only took about 2 gallons to fill it too, I could swear it took more than that, I dunno.
I'm gonna go for a test drive now that it isn't so hot outside.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have fun, and let us know how that baby drives.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude what a PITA from MOPAR'S GENIUS INTAKE DESIGN.........TOTALLY NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS B.S..................

Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

It wasn't really a pain, just a couple small issues that I wasn't in too big of a hurry to fix. I had already spent the majority of the day on it (in between air conditioning breaks and like a gallon of gatorade) and I didn't feel like messing with it any more, so I did a little the next day then a little on another day.

It's pretty nice, more punchy from the get go and it seems to really pull when it hits about 3000 rpm. I'm gonna keep romping on it and messing around until I get at least 100 miles on it, then I'll fill it up and drive sensibly to see what the mileage is like.
The exhaust note is a little different too.

Here's a cell phone video of 0-85, time it for me. I need to get my actual camera and tape it to the column or something to get more of a video an less of a cloverfield 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQM3WeF2IJ8

I thought I stopped it right after it shifted, I love the sound of when it shifts.

Quick Reply: Stupid plenum...