2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid plenum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinda sounds like just one of them deals, where something fails for no good reason.... I haven't heard of anyone elses hughes kit leaking again.... That airgap is sexay lookin though

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the IAT in the air hat today and realized that my 14x3 is too tall, so I need to go get a 14x2 or 2.25. I'll have to run the paper filter until I get that. (Anyone need a 14x3 K&N?)

I filled the radiator and was ready to crank it up and I heard a gushing noise when turning the truck on.
I planned on turning it on a couple times and feeling/smelling around the fuel rail before starting it and it's a good thing I did.
An injector o-ring on cylinder 8 is leaking pretty bad. I did notice that 6 and 8 are about 1/32" higher than the rest so I'm going to have to put a spacer on top of the rails mounting tab to see if pushing it down as far as the others will make it stop leaking.

Anyway, got a couple more pictures.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Gary-L
Legend

How come this setup requires a modification for the IAT? Why isn't everything already set up for it?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
How come this setup requires a modification for the IAT?
It's because the Edelbrock Performer RPM is intended for carb/TBI applications, and the Hughes part is just the Performer RPM with some additional bosses that are drilled to accept fuel injectors.

Personally I think it's a bit mickey mouse to sell the manifold without a port for the IAT sensor. But I'm weird about things like that, and if/when I get around to buying the Hughes I'm going to get the IAT into the manifold one way or another. The EGR port location looks like a pretty promising location if it'll go there without an interference problem.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
It's because the Edelbrock Performer RPM is intended for carb/TBI applications, and the Hughes part is just the Performer RPM with some additional bosses that are drilled to accept fuel injectors.

Personally I think it's a bit mickey mouse to sell the manifold without a port for the IAT sensor. But I'm weird about things like that, and if/when I get around to buying the Hughes I'm going to get the IAT into the manifold one way or another. The EGR port location looks like a pretty promising location if it'll go there without an interference problem.

Well then, that makes two of us who are "weird like that" so it's nice to have company. If you get there before I do, please post an update. Like you, I abhor Mickey Mouse setups.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I ever go into the business of making (errr...Selling) plenum pans for these trucks, i'd be calling them the "Stupid Plenum". And I wouldnt be using those ****ty FEL-Pro gaskets.

And I love my new sig quote.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 06-14-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Whaack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some great pictures and sweet intake!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
If I ever go into the business of making (errr...Selling) plenum pans for these trucks, i'd be calling them the "Stupid Plenum". And I wouldnt be using those ****ty FEL-Pro gaskets.

And I love my new sig quote.
At the rate you wrote up a DIY, we know that you'll never go into the business of selling plenum pans.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I've seen a few different places that say it is better to have the IAT in the tube on the air box instead of inside the intake. Hughes also says that it is better to have it in there.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I just adjusted the fuel rail a little bit and got the #6 and #8 injectors pushed down to the same level as the rest and made sure they weren't being pushed to the side at all by the mounting bracket on the rail.
Well, it still leaks at the top o-ring on #8. So I'm going to pull them off and exchange them at advance. I figure I probably rolled the leaking o-ring or something. I'll find out when I pull it off.
Man it's hard to get motivated when it's in the 90s out there.

Quick Reply: Stupid plenum...