2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

do e fans work

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work jasonw

i put my e-fan back in today... i also think im going to drop down to 180 i need to buy a controler soon.... it on a swicth

did your fan some with a controler?.... i was looking around i found sum for about 30buck on jegs

Old 06-20-2010, 03:41 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, it came with a controller. Thats the Black Magic 180 Extreme fan.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:41 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible to leave the shroud on and use the Flex a lite on a 2nd gen??

Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes. If I had planned it properly, maybe even with a tiny bit of trimming for the brackets, the shroud could fit back on fine. Once the fan was installed, I realized the shroud doesn't have enough space to get it between the new fan and the front of the engine to be dropped back in. You should install the fan and reinstall the shroud at the same time if you want the factory shroud to fit.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
ram74jt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jasonw- where did you mount your control module? Where is the best location to tap into the ignition power source?

I am planning on getting the Flex a lite 180 fan.

I was kicking around the idea of using the add-a-ciruit fuse holder to create a new ignition power source line. The add a ciricuit fuse holders are rated up to 10amps but I don't believe that should be a problem since the fan is pulling power directly from the battery to control module line. Am I correct?

Last edited by ram74jt; 06-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by ram74jt
Jasonw- where did you mount your control module? Where is the best location to tap into the ignition power source?
I did not use the ignition power source. During the course of my install of the e-fan, I learned that after the engine is turned off and the water pump stops, the engine actually gets about 20 degrees, or more, hotter than what it was when you shut it off. Granted, this is on a hot, humid, summer day (90+ degrees).

So i just wired up the fan to constant power. Even after the truck turns off, the fan will still stay on for a bit (sometimes cycling on and off a few times) to help keep the engine's temperature rise at a minimum. It may not do much, as the coolant isn't circulating anymore obviously, but it doesn't hurt.

I was kicking around the idea of using the add-a-ciruit fuse holder to create a new ignition power source line. The add a ciricuit fuse holders are rated up to 10amps but I don't believe that should be a problem since the fan is pulling power directly from the battery to control module line. Am I correct?
No, shouldn't be a problem, as the ignition source wire doesn't actually draw any power for the fan, just tells the controller whether the truck is on or off.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fans are ok but they dont free up much hp.
Really only affect performance from about 0-25mph.
Beyond that the clutch kicks the fan out & it freewheels.

Someone asked which is better, fans or pulleys
3pc alum pulleys will give alot more bang for the buck than efans do.

.12 sec 1/4m et reduction for March alum 3pc u/d pulleys (@ stock 4455lb curb wt/3.55grs/stock rims & rubber)
.08 sec 1/4m et reduction for Flexalite 210b fans & no stock fan/clutch(3860lb race wt/4.18 final (3.92grs-28" slicks))

Old 07-01-2010, 01:12 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did not use the ignition power source. During the course of my install of the e-fan, I learned that after the engine is turned off and the water pump stops, the engine actually gets about 20 degrees, or more, hotter than what it was when you shut it off. Granted, this is on a hot, humid, summer day (90+ degrees).

So i just wired up the fan to constant power. Even after the truck turns off, the fan will still stay on for a bit (sometimes cycling on and off a few times) to help keep the engine's temperature rise at a minimum. It may not do much, as the coolant isn't circulating anymore obviously, but it doesn't hurt.
I remember the electric fans on my Dads old Honda Accord used to do that.

When the day comes, I'm getting the Perma-Cool setup.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-19520/

Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
1998ram5.9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not looking to make the truck run cooler during every day driving because it never even comes close to overheating, im just looking for a hp gain. and mayber it will run cooler when i 4wheeling

Old 07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much are the pullies and what the work involed in that ?

Quick Reply: do e fans work