2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cooling mod for the 408

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 AM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im using the Perma Cool Cool Pak E-Fans and can tell you that there is an obvious change from the mechanical fan. Literally cools the truck down in two seconds.

As far as running the Neon fans... the blade pitch is very shallow and does not move much air. You have to remember that those fans are cooling a radiator that is only half an in thick and about half the surface area.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
And they may work perfectly, I have no clue, I just mentioned the amp draw as a cautionary note. I remember aims4squirrels mentioning the amp draw for the Taurus fans, and the Lincoln mark fans as well. I can't remember the amount, but it was pretty high, 30A or something, where as aftermarket fans draw much less and deliver almost the same results (but are much more expensive).

Let us know if it works out for you.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been researching this topic for about 8 months now. I'm one of those that will research something for 2 months even though it'll take 2 minutes to do. You know what I mean? I actually have collected a good amount of links that have very useful info. And you are correct about the Taurus fans drawing 30 amps...talk about energy hogs.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:32 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There's a lot of speculation about taurus fans and the Lincoln Mark VIII fans, but sites I've read with actually measurements say the fans can spike amps in the 60s or 70s and sustained running is 36 or so amps.

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...VIIIrelay.html

Read further on this thread:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52906

Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Originally Posted by greenmachine
Im using the Perma Cool Cool Pak E-Fans and can tell you that there is an obvious change from the mechanical fan. Literally cools the truck down in two seconds.

As far as running the Neon fans... the blade pitch is very shallow and does not move much air. You have to remember that those fans are cooling a radiator that is only half an in thick and about half the surface area.

Now i like that hood scoop, thats the best one i have ever seen next to the viper hood scoop on 2nd gen

Old 07-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Salex007
Captain

thats the most expensive aftermarket hood he has on that truck

Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

unfortunately it is very expensive,

very sexy too, though.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

It looks good. I don't feel like asking the price either. And a few post up, I actually do earn all my money, I don't mooch off my parents for money. And back to you, i wish i had the money for it. That shaker looks great, IMO.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:51 PM
jbomb
Veteran

I will never do it again if I have to use the computer. All of my problems (-1) came from having this truck work off the pcm.

Still waiting for the cam to arrive.

I am not looking to gain hp or anything. Just help cool the truck in stop and go traffic in Dallas/ft. worth durring rush hour and traffic jams.

I am using this along side of my cluch fan

Cluch fans are great.

I would never willingly rely totaly on an electric fan/ part if I have a mechanical part that I could use. Electronics and coputers always go bad and I dont want to rely on both if I can help it.

And last but not least. We dont need a new guy in here running his mouth. Everyone chill. lets be adults.

Welcome to the forum farmboy. (forgot your full username)

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Never even thought of using the e-fans and fan clutch together. Would prob work just fine. But yes, I do recommend these dual e-fan setup from FF dynamics. They are a high quality product. Betty is running 8-10 degrees cooler since the install. You gain some HP if you remove the fan clutch, and yes you will actually notice a power gain at the rear wheels. Colder A/C and a slight mileage gain (if you remove fan clutch that is). I have gain about 1.3 - 1.5 MPG gain, so I was very happy about that.

Great product and would recommend to anyone on the forum. BTW, the cfm draws about 6000 combined. Should be enough for your 408, however they also make the same setup for HD applications and diesel apps as well. If your interested, ask FFDynamics about it, and they should be able to help.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

E fans are rather popular. There are a fair few cars that come from the factory, that depend soley on the E-fan. (like, every front wheel drive car?) I don't have a problem relying on them at all. Even my Firebird had E-Fan's, and it was a V-8, rear wheel drive..... of course, the cooling system on that car was inadequate to the task from the factory....... Oooops.

When the time comes, I will happily dispose of the power robbing, inefficient, mechanical fan, in favor of e's.

Quick Reply: cooling mod for the 408