2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cooling mod for the 408

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^^^^^Dito

Old 08-01-2010, 01:23 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jbomb
Cluch fans are great.

I would never willingly rely totaly on an electric fan/ part if I have a mechanical part that I could use. Electronics and coputers always go bad and I dont want to rely on both if I can help it.
I disagree, you actually have it backwards. Take a wild guess at what is usually the first thing to fail on a laptop is, on average? The hard drive, one of the few mechanical devices left in a computer.

If installed and treated properly, an electronic device will last much longer than an equivalent mechanical device, simply because the mechanical device relies on moving parts, where as the electrical device relies on electrical connections. Electrical connections, if not for outside forces (air/environment/moisture/vibration/whatever), would last forever. Mechanical devices will not.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
jbomb
Veteran

Not aruguing with you just see it happen soo often. Like every 4x4 chevy I have been in it seems like when your stuck in the mud that 4x4 button will not work. not so with my old ford -lock the hubs and pull a lever. anyway.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by jbomb
Not aruguing with you just see it happen soo often. Like every 4x4 chevy I have been in it seems like when your stuck in the mud that 4x4 button will not work. not so with my old ford -lock the hubs and pull a lever. anyway.
Oh yes. On the electronic 4x4 I wholeheartedly agree with you. The control module, and the actuator motor on the t-case were flipping famous for failing. And at 300 plus bucks a pop..... Nope. Give me the stick on the floor every time. That was a crappy system when it first came out, and it hasn't gotten any better.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
greenmachine
All Star

[QUOTE=jbomb;2217486]Still waiting for the cam to arrive. [QUOTE]

Anyone who is needing a Magnum cam for a special grind is waiting. I supposedly had one coming almost two months ago. After a two week wait they called back to the shop and said that they are back ordered on Magnum cam cores. Aug 1st was the projected date for them to have cores to ship out. Tried all the top companies all waiting.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 PM
josh95dodge

You can get some cheap electric fans on ebay for about 30$ a piece and run two 16 inch fans

one 16inch keeps a normal motor cool and run it to the on/off to your vehicle temp switch is the worst idea ever.. never works how you want it to

Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Yeah, but i think those are junk. IMO.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 AM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by josh95dodge
You can get some cheap electric fans on ebay for about 30$ a piece and run two 16 inch fans

one 16inch keeps a normal motor cool and run it to the on/off to your vehicle temp switch is the worst idea ever.. never works how you want it to
Don't forget, you get what you pay for...And some high-end e-fan kits come with a temp probe that goes in the radiator. Those work correctly as they should.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigslick050
Don't forget, you get what you pay for...And some high-end e-fan kits come with a temp probe that goes in the radiator. Those work correctly as they should.
Aint that the truth

If you get fans with a temp probe be carefull how/where you mount it.

My Flexilite fans supplied the probe & on temp adjuster.
They wanted(in 01) the probe inside the upper rad hose/neck.(not sure if they still suggest that)
Nothing but issues with it installed as suggested (pic below bit hard to see) so dont put it there!!!

The probe worked great, fans came on as set.
Problem was couldnt tighten the clamp too much or risk crushing the hollow tube going to the probe.
Too loose & it would leak as well as the hose would slowly move farther off the neck.
Going WOT & taking it close to or above stock redline was risky.
After 2nd time blowing the hose off(constantly adjusting hose & clamp) I yanked the probe out.
Put it in the location below to test to see how it worked (perfect/just change the on setting)
Moved the probe to the bottom of the rad after confirming it worked correctly.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM
jbomb
Veteran

what would be nice is to get an aluminum radiator. or maybe one off a v10 (herd thoes are larger)

Quick Reply: cooling mod for the 408