2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
livinlifes2short
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I thought that was the relay so if thats the fuse where is the relay? Thank-you

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

DOH!

Fuel pump fuse is fuse number 9 in the junction block..... (fuse block on side of dash.) sorry 'bout that.....

relay is in the PDC, toward the front of the truck, closest to the drivers fender, in the little 'bump out' area of the pdc.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 AM
livinlifes2short

Oh ok so I tested the relay, it is good I looked last night for the fuse but there is nothing labled fuel pump do you know what the label says? Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

I don't think there are any labels.... unless they are on the cover of the junction block.

On my 96, the fuse is the third one down, towards the front of the truck. not sure what year the changed the fuse block......

Old 08-07-2010, 11:35 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by livinlifes2short
Oh ok so I tested the relay, it is good I looked last night for the fuse but there is nothing labled fuel pump do you know what the label says? Thanks
My fuse is in the PDC and, I've got a 96. Since this is going to be a 20A fuse, it's more than likely going to be found at the PDC and not at the fuse junction box that has the light, horn, wiper CKTs etc etc.

The lablel on mine is found inside of the cover.

So, when you tested the relay, did you test it in BOTH POWER AND NON-powered? What was the battery voltage to the FUEL PUMP RELAY- was it ~12V at PIN 30? Voltage should be seen there regardless of ignition key position. It's live at all times. Turn the KEY <ON> and you should now have voltage at pin 86.

<IF> there's no voltage, check the FUEL PUMP FUSE

<IF> there's NO voltage TO THE FUSE, we've got a problem in the wiring.

CM

Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
livinlifes2short

Ok im going to take a step back here for clarification and make sure we are on the same page:

When you say "PDC" you are reffering to the box in the engine bay driver side?

If yes under that lid everything is labled and there is only one that says Fuel pump.

Now inside the driver side door there is a fuse panel, it is also labled. I can find nothing in there to relate to the fuel pump.

So inside the box in the engine bay (assuming the PDC) there is one item labled for the fuel pump. Now is that a fuse or a relay??

As for testing whatever it is I found in the box on the driver side of the engine bay. I pulled the same type of fuse/relay and switched them still nothing. I also tried the one that i pulled in the fog lamp spot and it worked (they are the same) So sorry for being well dumb at this point just trying to make sure we are on the same page. If I have found the fuse where is the relay, if that is the realy where is the fuse? Thanks again you guys are awesome!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pdc is power distribution box. inside engine bay, beside battery.

there is nothing in dash fuse panel for the major electrical elements. those are mostly smaller fuses.

in the pdc, the big black rectangular boxes are relays. you will also see blade style fuses and square style fuses. all the black relays are interchangable.

edit - you may already know this but what a relay does is act like an elaborate on/off switch. a real on/off switch somewhere (like the pcm or steering column) turns on and off and sends a very low amperage current to the relay. the relay then open/closes to send a high amperage current from the battery to the fuel pump, or wiper, or something. this keeps the larger, high amperage wires out of the dash and column. all the relay sockets are the same. there will always be 12v at the battery terminal. you can test for presence of 12v on the switched side to determine whether the device has been switched on or not. i don't remember which pin number is which. you can look it up.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...w-wire-up.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-07-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM
livinlifes2short

ok sweet thanks! Now that were on the same page i would say I checked the relay as it has 5 prongs on the bottom of it. Now there was nothing else labled in there for the fuel pump. But you are saying that there should be a fuse right? and direction as to which one?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i went and looked on my 01.
i have a fuel system relay in the corner of the pdc.
no fuse in either the pdc or the dash that's labeled fuel pump,
edit---- however, #9 in the dash is labeled ENGINE, whatever that is

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-07-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by livinlifes2short
ok sweet thanks! Now that were on the same page i would say I checked the relay as it has 5 prongs on the bottom of it. Now there was nothing else labled in there for the fuel pump. But you are saying that there should be a fuse right? and direction as to which one?
According to my manuals, every Dodge ram has a fuel pump fuse however, what they (Dodge) may have done is placed it on shared CKTs as a COMMON fuse for ALL which, may be ENGINE as was suggested.

CM

Quick Reply: Wont Start