2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010 | 12:51 PM
Trapt29
|
Default Overheating

OK so I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 V8 that is currently overheating..I have changed the water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, and the fan clutch. It still overheats takes a little longer to get there but still over heats.. I'm at a loss for what else to change can anybody help me out with this?

Old 08-22-2010 | 12:54 PM
GeorgiaDodge
Veteran

when you flushed the fluid out did you run a descaler through the system. Also did you make sure to bleed the air out? Is your gauge working properly?

Old 08-22-2010 | 01:47 PM
Trapt29
|

when you flushed the fluid out did you run a descaler through the system. Also did you make sure to bleed the air out? Is your gauge working properly?
not sure what a descaler is so I guess not, and i did bleed the air best I could..as far as I know the gauge is working properly because it slowly goes up then when the TSAT kicks on I see it drop then it continues to gradually go up, sometimes to the red line...

should I do a full radiator flush?

Old 08-22-2010 | 02:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

getting anywhere near the red line is BAD BAD BAD. sounds like the radiator is stopped up or not cooling. make sure the air flow is good, and not stopped up with mud or weeds. top radiator hose should be too hot to hold, about 195. bottom radiator hose should be about 150 or so, not too hot to hold... if your bottom hose temp is very hot then the radiator is not doing its job.

Old 08-22-2010 | 03:51 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

If its the original radiator, I say replace it. I had a similiar problem and found out it was the radiator.

Old 08-22-2010 | 05:31 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Yep, sounds like the radiator itself is the root cause of your problem....

Old 08-22-2010 | 05:45 PM
techmike
Rookie

Don't throw the radiator under the bus just yet. I picked up one with a wicked clogged radiator and was able to clean it out. Pressure only packs rust and crud in tighter but chemical flush if allowed to sit long enough will break it down and pull it into solution to flush out. Give a Prestone flush a try before you spend a couple hundred bucks on a new radiator and fluids.

Also, keep in mind you'll never get rid of a brownish tint in the coolant unless you replace the radiator.

Old 08-23-2010 | 08:56 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

If the rad has cold spots, that's where I'd look. Also, if you turn on the cab heat to full high, does the temp drop down?

Old 09-23-2010 | 11:34 PM
Trapt29
|

ok so I had the Radiator checked and it is good... I am being told the previous owner used head gasket quick seal and it blew out and that I need to replace the head gaskets...does that sound right and how hard is that...what is the process needed to replace those?

Old 09-24-2010 | 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Head gaskets are a major undertaking, and chances are, the current heads are cracked as well. You will have to completely disassemble the top half of the motor, pull the heads, clean the block surface extremely well, (not fun without air tools....) and then reinstall everything, paying attention to proper torque values, and tightening sequences. You will need a good collection of tools, and a clean place to work. (I hate doing heads outside, major pain.) Also, a manual is a requirement.

If this isn't something you are comfortable doing.... don't try it. If you have a friend that has a clue, and is willing to help, and between the two of you, have a good collection of tools, might give it a shot. Look forward to having to REPLACE the heads though. And, while you are at it, might just as well do the plenum repair while it is off.

Quick Reply: Overheating