2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy with researched questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM
markc522
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with researched questions...

Hello, new guy with an 01 5.9 Off Road with 35's 114k miles all original power/drive train.

I have a couple questions/ideas to run by you guys.
Ive been having the symptoms of the 'end of life' cycle of the oxygen sensor.
Im going to replace the sensor, but I feel like I need to replace the catalytic converter too. The truck has 114k miles and really seems like a dog. (I dont think the plenum gasket is bad or that it has death flash) could be wrong.
Either way my goals are to order the plenum fix, exhaust, and possibly a tuner.
The trans isnt 100% so the tuner may wait. Thats my 1st idea/question, any advise/tips welcome on the overall game plan.

Next: I was wondering if there is a high flow replacement for the 01. I have seen one for older models but not for mine. If there is not, Im aware of the $80 MagnaFlow but Im not sure if this is something I can tackle on my own. Is there a write-up on it? Do you just saws-all the old one off and slip on the new? Seems like Im going to cut more out than put back. Any tips or ideas?

Lastly: My brakes slam when quick sharp pressure is applied. This creates a loud bang and is very jarring. When brakes are applied steadly there is no issue. (havent locked them up, or driven on dirt, and cant tell if its front or rear) I just replaced the rears and cleaned the crud off. Fronts look ok visually with the wheels still on. Also when accelerating really hard there is a shudder/thud in the rear. Feels like something in the drivetrain hits really hard and then the truck has real bad wheel hop. I dont think Im breaking the tires loose or I would blame wheel hop. Normal acceleration is fine.

Sorry for the long read. Other than the issues above, I really like the truck and hope to become a fan of Durdge pick-ups.

Thanks
-Mark

Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to DF. congratulations, you have the finest 2nd gen truck that was made.

unfortunately, you do have death flash, as it was standard from the factory in 01.
and unfortunately, you probably do have leaking plenum, as it was standard too.

clogged cat is common, but knock on wood, some escape with an ok cat. but, you can replace it anyway. yes you do just saw it off and weld or clamp on a new, but - the shape of the y-pipe is sort of weird and bulb shaped, so it would certainly be easiest to visit a muffler shop and have them cut out the old and weld in the new. it shouldn't take them more than about 1/2 hour nor cost more than about $50 or so if you supply the cat. they might even have a generic cat for less than you could buy it for. if not, visit a few more shops and keep asking. their probably is a direct fit cat, but it'll be real expensive. i'll look around.

is the rear brakes your antilock kicking in. in a nice level, straight place, stomp your brakes really hard and feel how your ABS works. is that what you are talking about. mine feel weird too on a very hard stop. sort of a hard shuddering jerking. i think? its normal.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Have a look at your PCM, if there is a 'sticker' on it, about an official update, or some such, you have the death flash. Tuner will fix that.

Pull your air filter box off the throttle body. Crack the throttles wide open, point a flashlight down there, and see what ya see. If there is oil sitting about, plenum is blown. If it hasn't been fixed in the past, chances are real good that it is.

You have 4.10s, and 35 inch tires..... that is going to kinda beat you up coming out of the hole. If you also have the death flash, I would expect your truck to be barking. (as in, being dog-like. ) O2 sensor will contribute as well.

As for the cat, if you live in an area that doesn't do emissions testing, measure it, get a pipe the right length, and diameter, sawzall the cat, insert the pipe, call it good. Also makes the truck a bit louder. If you can't get away with that, the magnaflow high flow cat, with the right diameter in/out, will so just fine. Add a peice of pipe if you have to. Check with a local muffler shop, and ask them if they would put it on, and if so, how much they would charge. I usually just weld pipes. Its easier, doesn't come apart, and if it needs to, I just cut them anyway......

Brakes: Take a look at all your suspension mounts, see what the bushing look like. Should mounts as well. Sounds like you have one that is kinda marginal.

Trans: Have a read thru MonteC's transmission thread, stickied at the top of this forum. There is a WEALTH of information there, and tips for a 'better' rebuild. There are also a couple members on this site that have rebuilt their own trans, even though they had never seen the insides of one before in their lives. J415 has an thread in the FAQ section, that has links to several walkthrus. Between his, and Monte's threads, you can build a killer, bullet-proof trans.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 PM
jswain
Veteran

On the brakes, my rears would lock if you stabbed the brakes pretty hard. They would lock for about a second, then the abs would kick on and I could barely stop. It became a problem when stopping semi-fast on bumps like expansion joints. I had replaced rear brakes previously and had the drums turned. Turns out the rear drums were out of round. I put new drums on and problem resolved.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM
markc522
Rookie

Thanks for the info.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:53 PM
markc522
Rookie

The thud at braking and the shudder at accelleration seems to be the worn suspension bushings.
The leaf spring bushings are pretty much shot, and I tightened the rear axle u-bolts to 130 lbs and the thud is less, but still there.
Anyone know of a bushing kit for these trucks?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Might be able to get one at your local neighborhood parts store..... or, they may be able to order it up for you at least.

Otherwise, I suspect the only alternative would be the dealer..... and you can bet those aren't gonna be cheap. (price-wise anyway....)

Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM
hutch311
Rookie

does energy suspensions make anything for our trucks?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most 01's used 3" exhaust pipes with neck downs to 2.5" at the cat and muffler. If yours is that way, get a magnaflow cat in the 99xxx series that is 3" si/so and have the exhaust shop weld in on in place of the stocker. That and a 3" si/so muffler should give you a nice little performance bump when you step on it. Those 2.5" neck downs are bad news for flow and probably only used so Dodge could use their back stock from previous models.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
markc522
Rookie

Thanks aim4squirrels. I see your located in DFW, me too (Keller). Where abouts? Got any good local shops?

Now, to you other guys:
I looked into the rear spring bushings and summit and jegs both have polyurethane. Never taken leafs off before. Any tips?

Quick Reply: New guy with researched questions...