2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM
32spec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM problems

I recently had a p0601 code for my 2001 Ram 2500. I bought a used pcm out of a 2001 Ramm1500 (same motor and trans) at a junkyard. The code went away, now I have the red BRAKE light and amber ABS light on. I was told this is caused by having a different VIN in the pcm, and I needed to program the VIN from my truck into the junkyard pcm. However, when I called some local Dodge dealerships (4 total), they told me it couldn't be done. Now I don't know if it can't be done, or if they just don't feel like doing it, and want to sell me a new pcm.
So what are my options? The truck runs fine with junkyard pcm, no more 601 codes, and the brakes work great. I would like to get rid of the brake lights on the dash so if I do have a problem with the brakes, I'll know it.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked for codes again? Sounds like the VSS on top of the rear axle needs to be replaced.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM
32spec

No I haven't. I'll check that out this weekend. Thanks

Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't have to wait for the weekend, try this.https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-list.html

Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 AM
32spec

There are no codes with the junkyard computer, just the brakes lights on the dash.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

It may be the ABS module whining about non-matching vins.... however, I am really curious just WHY the dealers don't think they can re-flash your PCM with the correct vin. (although, you would get the death flash back.....) After all, I am sure they have had occasion to replace PCM's before, what do they do in that case? Might wanna ask 'em.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Yes, the vin will need programed and your abs / brake light will go away. It also is possible for the dealer to program the vin, they are just jerking you around. It honestly takes less than 5 minutes to do with the DRB. Was the comp an exact vehicle match? If it was, nice find. If not... just tell them you want your pcm reflashed with the current updates.

Btw, the reason your lights are on is because the pcm vin doesn't match the number in the abs controller so it thinks the abs system isn't there. The brakes do work fine like you said... but once you get it programed your good to go.

Also, I see your in liverpool PA. Van Campen Dodge in Williamsport PA programmed the vin for me. It is about an hour up the road for you (I pass through liverpool on my way home from school about once a month), but if they can fix you up it might be worth the drive. Give them a ring, it's worth a shot. Good Luck

Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think the lights are caused by vin mismatch. i don't think the pcm has any other point of comparison, so it doesn't know nor care.

i wonder if its a mismatch between 2 wheel abs vs 4 ? it doesn't seem likely that a speed sensor picked this moment to go bad.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It may be the ABS module whining about non-matching vins
does the abs module contain a vin? why would it and wouldn't that make it difficult to replace it?

Originally Posted by HeyYou
After all, I am sure they have had occasion to replace PCM's before, what do they do in that case? Might wanna ask 'em.
haha, they charge you about 1000 bucks.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
does the abs module contain a vin? why would it and wouldn't that make it difficult to replace it?

haha, they charge you about 1000 bucks.

ABS module have a VIN? I don't know...... I am not even sure if the crazy things are programmable, without having some ridiculously expensive equipment. It is just one possibility..... so, you are correct, reflashing the pcm, may not solve the problem.

Ok, after poking about a bit more..... I can not even say for sure if the ABS module even TALKS to the PCM...... It pays attention to the brake switch, and a couple other inputs..... but....... nowhere can i find if it even cares what it is in....... It IS programmable, it would seem, if you have the right tool..... but, I have seen absolutely nothing about anyone, aside from the dealer, doing it. From the FSM:

NOTE: If the CAB needs to be replaced, the rear
axle type and tire revolutions per mile must be programed
into the new CAB. For axle type refer to
Group 3 Differential and Driveline.
Note, that is does NOT mention the VIN. At all.

Quick Reply: PCM problems