2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Well I have a question on rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I have a question on rotors.

I am in the market for some new rotors. I don't care how expensive they are, or what brand they are. I want the best ones I can get for my ram. I have one warped right front rotor. So, I am going to replace them both. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get? I am wanting to do a major brake upgrade by getting something like Brembo if they have a kit for our trucks...

Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brembo brakes are for race applications only. go to summit racing's website and get some ebc pads and rotors.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

Brembo makes street brakes too.

I just did the front brakes last Saturday (rotors, pads, wheel bearings).

I got Centric rotors and pads from Rock Auto, about middle of the road price-wise. They work great, and unless you spend radically more money, you will probably not see any difference.

I do like the EBC pads and have used the Greenstuff ones on my car.

I have also used Hawk pads too.

For street use, you probably won't notice much difference, IMHO.

I noticed you have a 4x2 (as do I). Make sure you get 2WD rotors since there is a difference.

Not sure if the pads are different, but the rotors are slightly larger on the 4WD.

Do the wheel bearings at the same time, since you will have them out of the rotors when you swap those out. There are inner and outer bearings, so you will need one set of each (4 total, 2 of each).

Make sure you pack them in grease intended for disc brake bearings (I believe this has a higher heat tolerance than drum brake-type grease.

Do not hang the calipers from the rubber brake lines - use a coat hanger or wire to suspend them.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

twin pistons upfront and discs in the rear will run you $2000+ (which is the best you can get in bolt on kits) SSBC makes both kits.

however, for noticably better performance for just 10% of that go with chevy dually wheel cylinders and the calipers from a 2500 with EBC pads. 3500 calipers are a good deal bigger and will stop better of course but when the pads begin to wear the 1500 rotor isnt thick enough.

i wouldnt bother getting slotted and/or dimpled rotors unless your seriously riding your brakes all day long. $35 vented rotors will give you the same initial performance

Old 10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

I did see a couple of big brake kits for our trucks, including Brembo, for like $4K and up. In case cost is really no object :-)

One things to note on those is that you may need larger wheels to clear the new brakes. If you are doing a project truck, you are probably already thinking of new wheels, but figure out the brakes first and make sure the new wheels will clear those. (Obviously you can't put the old wheels on AFTER you install the brakes...)

Old 10-18-2010, 08:39 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by MilesBFree
I did see a couple of big brake kits for our trucks, including Brembo, for like $4K and up. In case cost is really no object :-)

One things to note on those is that you may need larger wheels to clear the new brakes. If you are doing a project truck, you are probably already thinking of new wheels, but figure out the brakes first and make sure the new wheels will clear those. (Obviously you can't put the old wheels on AFTER you install the brakes...)
i highly doubt he's looking for new wheels considering he just dropped almost 900 on 4 new tires that he spent almost 200 too much for. i would reccommend some high end rotors from advance with there best ceramic pads. they carry a new brand, i cant remember what it is, but its comparable to ebc.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

Originally Posted by FarmBoy428
...I don't care how expensive they are... I am wanting to do a major brake upgrade by getting something like Brembo if they have a kit for our trucks...
Well, he did say he didn't care how expensive...

Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

it must be nice to have that kind of money and no responsibilities, and to be able to waste money like that. a "big brake kit" for our trucks really wouldnt help much in his situation. all he needs to do is upgrade to 2500 calipers/pads, 1-ton wheel cylinders advance autos best rotors and advance autos best ceramic pads. from the way he talks on here he goes through creeks and streams alot and getting water and mud on brakes only makes them wear out quicker. if he wants to dump 4k+ into his truck just for brakes when the whole truck probly isnt worth that, then so be it. although this is just my opinion, it is a very good opinion.all the brembo brakes are going to allow him to do ias stop his truck on a dime and get .09 cents change. its really not worth it. if he wants to dump 4k into his truck it should be go fast parts, not slow down parts.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
it must be nice to have that kind of money and no responsibilities, and to be able to waste money like that. a "big brake kit" for our trucks really wouldnt help much in his situation. all he needs to do is upgrade to 2500 calipers/pads, 1-ton wheel cylinders advance autos best rotors and advance autos best ceramic pads. from the way he talks on here he goes through creeks and streams alot and getting water and mud on brakes only makes them wear out quicker. if he wants to dump 4k+ into his truck just for brakes when the whole truck probly isnt worth that, then so be it. although this is just my opinion, it is a very good opinion.all the brembo brakes are going to allow him to do ias stop his truck on a dime and get .09 cents change. its really not worth it. if he wants to dump 4k into his truck it should be go fast parts, not slow down parts.
haha easy on him man but i do agree. it is his money though

Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Slowing down can be just as important as speeding up. Though, I will agree that a brembo kit really isn't worth the money, for the braking performance "upgrade" you get. Better calipers/pads would be far more worth while. Its not like dodge pulled a GM, and put 10 inch rotors on a hot rod........

Quick Reply: Well I have a question on rotors.