2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010 | 11:03 AM
Ram_King
|
Professional
Question cat

the more i think about it and people tell me i had taken my muffler off so it was straight pipe to the tip and it just doesnt sound like any of the other dodges around me, my friend was saying my cat might be clogged, what is the best way to find out if the cat is clogged or if it would be another problem, plus i have been noticing it doesnt have the power it had when i got it. any ideas?

Old 10-25-2010 | 11:19 AM
Road Hammer
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram_King
the more i think about it and people tell me i had taken my muffler off so it was straight pipe to the tip and it just doesnt sound like any of the other dodges around me, my friend was saying my cat might be clogged, what is the best way to find out if the cat is clogged or if it would be another problem, plus i have been noticing it doesnt have the power it had when i got it. any ideas?
#1, it'll smell like rotten eggs out the tailpipe if it's breakin up/melting.
#2, you should have LOT's of exhaust flow at the tailpipe with a straightpipe.
#3, go for a highway speed drive, pull over and look at the cat/exhaust manifolds, if they're HOT (sometimes even red hot!) you got a plugged cat.
hope this helps ya and good luck !

Old 10-25-2010 | 12:22 PM
Ram_King
|
Professional

alright thanks, yeah that was helpful im actually about to take it out and take it down the highway ill let you know how it goes. but another question has anyon here takin there cat off and put a glasspack in its place, and if it sounds good or not, thanks again

Old 10-25-2010 | 12:36 PM
Fenrir

I'm not too sure how glass packs sound on dodges, but my uncle had one put on his C1500. Neither of us were big fans of the sound, kind of crackled when rev'ed up.

Old 10-25-2010 | 01:20 PM
Road Hammer
Professional

We used to remove cats and put a small glasspack in it's place, it helped to stop the "droning" sound in the cab, other than that, just seemed to make the aftermarket exhaust a tad quieter.

Old 10-25-2010 | 01:38 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

I have a gutted cat and cherrybomb glasspack, and it sounds pretty nice. It's a little loud but that's how ya want it! I've never heard of putting a glasspack up there in place of a cat....

A surefire way to check for a clogged cat is to temporarily remove the pre-cat O2 sensor and try it. If it runs better then you most likely have a plugged cat. This just gives the exhaust a place to go if it can't get through the cat...

Old 10-25-2010 | 01:49 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

I've ran glasspacks with the cat but don't know the sound without. I kept my factory muffler all these years and currently run a hollowed cat w/ stock muffler. It opened it up and has a great deep tone but not so loud you can't stand it. These days I like my truck a little quieter.

Cut the CAT!

Old 10-25-2010 | 02:16 PM
Andrew2500
Professional

If you hear a hollow rattling sound when you idle and for about a second after you hit the gas, then your cat is clogged or breaking down.

Old 10-25-2010 | 02:47 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

you can take out your 02 sensors and see if that helps

Old 10-25-2010 | 03:11 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
you can take out your 02 sensors and see if that helps
Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
A surefire way to check for a clogged cat is to temporarily remove the pre-cat O2 sensor and try it. If it runs better then you most likely have a plugged cat. This just gives the exhaust a place to go if it can't get through the cat...