2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire Cupping

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010 | 12:30 PM
mjonesjr
|
Professional
Default Tire Cupping

When I bought my truck I put new tires and shocks on it. That was 2,300 miles ago. The front passenger side tire is cupping bad.

I took the truck back to the shop where I got the tires and they said it was a bad track bar. To me if that was the case both front tires would be cupping.

This shop as a reputation for not know what the hell they are doing except for putting on tires.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Old 10-30-2010 | 12:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Why don't you check the trac bar yourself then? And where is the tire wearing? in the middle?

Old 10-30-2010 | 01:30 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Mine did the same thing. For me it was a bad wheel bearing hub (driver's side) and bad alignment.

Do what zman17 said and check it yourself. Jack up the front end of the truck and (safely) push/pull on everything including the wheels under the truck.

Then set the truck back on its wheels and have someone get into the truck, start it and turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the track bar and other joints under the truck.

Old 10-30-2010 | 01:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

At the risk of seeming like a "giant dick" , if you knew this before hand

"This shop as a reputation for not know what the hell they are doing except for putting on tires". Why did you go back there?

Old 10-30-2010 | 03:01 PM
mjonesjr
|
Professional

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
Mine did the same thing. For me it was a bad wheel bearing hub (driver's side) and bad alignment.

Do what zman17 said and check it yourself. Jack up the front end of the truck and (safely) push/pull on everything including the wheels under the truck.

Then set the truck back on its wheels and have someone get into the truck, start it and turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the track bar and other joints under the truck.
The track bar does move a little bit side to side at the frame mount when turning the wheels. I would think it would move a little since it was a tie rod end style joint.

Originally Posted by zman17
At the risk of seeming like a "giant dick" , if you knew this before hand

"This shop as a reputation for not know what the hell they are doing except for putting on tires". Why did you go back there?
Because they put the tires on there and they will be the only shop that will replace the tires if it was a defective tire.

Old 10-30-2010 | 03:17 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by mjonesjr
The track bar does move a little bit side to side at the frame mount when turning the wheels. I would think it would move a little since it was a tie rod end style joint.
Nope. Shouldn't move at all if the joint is good.

Look into "Luke's Links," if you're handy, to rebuild and strengthen the ball joint end of your track bar (and any other of your tie rods for that matter).

But even with a bad trackbar end, I doubt that would cause cupping on one tire. Check your wheel bearing hubs and ball joints. Jack the truck up, grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to get it to move virticaly. If it does, it's likely you have a bad wheel bearing (if the tire also moves side/side) or ball joint.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 10-30-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2010 | 03:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Yep, should not move at all. Fix it as stated or get a MOOG trac bar. Check the hub bearings and BJ's . Then take it for an alignment. Even though the T Bar is bad, I don't think that is the root cause of the problem.

Edit, And once again, where is the tire wearing?

Old 10-30-2010 | 04:15 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

my dad had a 96 1500 2wd, and it was wearing/cupping....all he needed was an alignment....

but you could have bad front end parts too being yours is a 4x4.

Old 10-30-2010 | 05:50 PM
mjonesjr
|
Professional

Originally Posted by audiomechanic
Nope. Shouldn't move at all if the joint is good.

Look into "Luke's Links," if you're handy, to rebuild and strengthen the ball joint end of your track bar (and any other of your tie rods for that matter).

But even with a bad trackbar end, I doubt that would cause cupping on one tire. Check your wheel bearing hubs and ball joints. Jack the truck up, grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to get it to move virticaly. If it does, it's likely you have a bad wheel bearing (if the tire also moves side/side) or ball joint.
Ball joints are all good, no movement in them, vertical or horizontal.

Originally Posted by zman17
Yep, should not move at all. Fix it as stated or get a MOOG trac bar. Check the hub bearings and BJ's . Then take it for an alignment. Even though the T Bar is bad, I don't think that is the root cause of the problem.

Edit, And once again, where is the tire wearing?
There is no one spot it is wearing, it is pretty well over the whole tire.

Old 10-30-2010 | 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Cupping is usually an indicator of bad shocks.

Quick Reply: Tire Cupping