2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Toby Hammett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Should be a couple bolts where the column mounts to the dash, and a couple more where it mounts to the floor. Shift linkage, some electrical connectors, and out it comes. Leave the steering locked when you pull the column, else you run the danger of trashing the clockspring.
Many thanks for the reply - I do see a nut (bottom right of black plastic) surrounding the shaft as it goes into the firewall - I guess this metal grate looking thing is throwing me off, thought I would find a connector to loosen up around there. Is there possibly a joint / coupler to be disengaged behind the black plastic piece? thanks

Old 12-11-2020, 06:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Hammett
Many thanks for the reply - I do see a nut (bottom right of black plastic) surrounding the shaft as it goes into the firewall - I guess this metal grate looking thing is throwing me off, thought I would find a connector to loosen up around there. Is there possibly a joint / coupler to be disengaged behind the black plastic piece? thanks
There are 3 nuts on that black plastic boot. One under the hood on the steering shaft up by the firewall and two right behind the knee bolster

Old 12-11-2020, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

The grate type thing is a collapsing sleeve, so in the event of a front end collision, the column collapses, instead of impaling you like a spear.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:26 AM
Toby Hammett

The grate type thing is a collapsing sleeve, so in the event of a front end collision, the column collapses, instead of impaling you like a spear.
Much appreciated HeyYou - and not to sound like a complete donkey but, does this mean I must remove the entire steering wheel assembly down to the floor if I want to remove the steering shaft? Was hoping there was a connection point/joint at the bottom of the shaft somewhere around the collapsing sleeve? If not I'll start searching for directions to disassemble.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Hammett
Much appreciated HeyYou - and not to sound like a complete donkey but, does this mean I must remove the entire steering wheel assembly down to the floor if I want to remove the steering shaft? Was hoping there was a connection point/joint at the bottom of the shaft somewhere around the collapsing sleeve? If not I'll start searching for directions to disassemble.
Yes you have to remove it clear down to the floor

Old 12-12-2020, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The column is essentially one piece..... with no user-serviceable parts...... The bushing at the bottom, (rock solid ram steering fix part) is about the only thing you can change. (aside from various switches in the column...) I didn't think you actually needed to remove the column to play with that though........

Old 12-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Toby Hammett

The column is essentially one piece..... with no user-serviceable parts...... The bushing at the bottom, (rock solid ram steering fix part) is about the only thing you can change. (aside from various switches in the column...) I didn't think you actually needed to remove the column to play with that though........
Well I installed the bushing with much difficulty while on the truck but now must remove it and its just to difficult while on the truck so thinking I will remove the shaft. Looked at every vidoe on youtube and cant find one where some just removed the inside steering shaft out to where the busing goes - everyone is removing the airbag to replace the clock spring or such. For example, do I have to go through all of that removal of items from steering wheel cover, air bags, connectors and everything else in order to remove the shaft? I would assume I do, hell still not sure how the shaft inside is connected down to the floor area...

Old 12-12-2020, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No. You don't. Just the bolts to the dash, the bolts to the floor, some electrical connectors, and shift linkage. That's it. All the rest stays together. Make SURE the column is locked before loosening a single bolt though, else you will be replacing the clockspring.

Also, air bags can kill, so, disconnect the battery and wait at LEAST 15 minutes before touching anything related to the air bag. That gives the DERM time to discharge, so you don't accidentally trip the airbag. WAY too exciting.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:07 PM
Toby Hammett

No. You don't. Just the bolts to the dash, the bolts to the floor, some electrical connectors, and shift linkage. That's it. All the rest stays together. Make SURE the column is locked before loosening a single bolt though, else you will be replacing the clockspring.

Also, air bags can kill, so, disconnect the battery and wait at LEAST 15 minutes before touching anything related to the air bag. That gives the DERM time to discharge, so you don't accidentally trip the airbag. WAY too exciting.
Okay so I removed the knee bolster and can clearly see the two large nuts and connectors that need to come loose prior to removal. So if I understand you correctly once I undo the two large nuts around the mid-shaft point, nuts surrounding the black plastic piece on the floor, disconnect electronics, and remove the bolt in the engine bay holding the shaft to the column, she is ready to come out?

Old 12-13-2020, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't forget (like I did....) the little wire that goes from the column, to the PRNDL in the instrument cluster.........

Aside from that, I think ya got it.

Quick Reply: My "Rock Solid" Ram Steering Upgrade Experience