2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where are you guys getting gears from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
For a full install what will I need? Gears, Locker, and install kits correct? I was told something by one of the guys in the shop about an open carrier?
Yours is two wheel drive, is it not? Then, Gears, master install kit, and the locker of your choice. Detroit locker is supposedly 'the best'..... just gotta remember it is back there, and adjust your driving style accordingly. (that, and it always sounds like your rear end is going to blow up.....)

While you have it all ripped apart though....... doing axle bearings and seals wouldn't be a bad plan.... along with refreshing the rear brake shoes, hardware, 1 ton slave cylinder upgrade?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an Auburn limited slip in the rear of mine, and I can tell you that if I had only a 2wd, it would be enough to get me though most winter conditions and slick stuff that I would really need it for. It does great in ice and snow. I don't really use 4wd much at all in the winter unless I am playing around in the deep stuff. The limited slip makes a big difference.

If you plan to offroad through, a locker would be a better way to go, just sucks on the street is all. I wish someone would make an air or electric locker for the 9.25.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:47 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

open carriers are garbage thats whats come stoc and you wont go anywhere with it, and its the 1 wheel wonder BOOOO

Old 12-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, open carriers are worthless in a truck in my opinion. Escpecially 4wd's, I can't believe all Rams didn't come with posi, even though the factory Chrysler posi is said to be a POS.

Quick Reply: Where are you guys getting gears from?