2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

408 stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:13 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you just confused the hell outta me!

bruce at 5-oh said to use 30# injectors, but he really didn't seem to do any calcualtions he just pulled it off the top of his head. jbomb also runs 30's.

i have a ported 50mm tb that i guess i will use for the time being. the SCT is a must, so now it all comes down to the injectors.... guess i have some more research to do. so youre reccomending bosch? i beleive all 97's were EV1...

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Flow rate is mutable...... and different manufacturers rate the flow at different pressures. Not necessarily the pressure you system runs at either..... (generally lower), so, a 30 pound injector may actually operate as a 33 or greater.... Having fun yet?

All that said, flow rating is all about engine displacement, and induction method. (forced induction needs higher flow rate... not a worry for you at this point.) So, the 30 pounders will probably do good for ya. Especially since they are probably rated at 43 psi, and your system operates at near 50. The main idea is keeping the injector pulsewidth in an acceptable range. You want it to be able to deliver just enough gas at idle, on a warm engine, so as not to run pig rich, but, you don't want it at 100% duty cycle at 4000 RPM either. Bruce knows his stuff. I am pretty sure you can trust him.

I thought folks recommended staying away from the bosch injectors though? Or, am I confusing that with some other part??

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:26 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

ill call him again and see if i can get a more in depth answer. hmmmm so if accels and bosch are both no good, what should i buy?!

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hold out for some other opinions on what brand to buy.... I may be thinking of something else there.....

Old 06-28-2011 | 02:38 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Flow rate is mutable...... and different manufacturers rate the flow at different pressures. Not necessarily the pressure you system runs at either..... (generally lower), so, a 30 pound injector may actually operate as a 33 or greater.... Having fun yet?

All that said, flow rating is all about engine displacement, and induction method. (forced induction needs higher flow rate... not a worry for you at this point.) So, the 30 pounders will probably do good for ya. Especially since they are probably rated at 43 psi, and your system operates at near 50. The main idea is keeping the injector pulsewidth in an acceptable range. You want it to be able to deliver just enough gas at idle, on a warm engine, so as not to run pig rich, but, you don't want it at 100% duty cycle at 4000 RPM either. Bruce knows his stuff. I am pretty sure you can trust him.

I thought folks recommended staying away from the bosch injectors though? Or, am I confusing that with some other part??

Bosch injectors are good.. Seimens are the best.. Accel are the worst.. there seems to be no uniformity of flow with the Accel's from what I've read..

FMS genIII's are good..

as far as Bruce goes, he is a nice guy- and he knows injectors, but he doesn't know our trucks as well as he needs to before speaking on them.. I bought FMS genIII 22# 'oe replacement' injectors which were 'sposed to be a swap it and forget it thing.. I learned that those FMS's are rated 22# @ 39psi, not @ (somewhat standard) 43.5psi.. which means I was dumping near 26#'s @49psi.. ppppPIGggg rich.. I told HemiFever what I had done, and he broke out the calculator and performed some variant of alchemy unfamiliar to me.. He trimmed back 6% delivery, and nailed it according to my wideband..

If'n I were you. Matty, I figure I'd skirt over to one of the more performance oriented boards and ask up on how much delivery, and which specific injectors are advised.. HeyYou is right (as usual) about the mathematics concerning how much you need- and your PCM will also trim or push depending on conditions.. but ya likely need to be close to start with..

Old 06-28-2011 | 09:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

WOT is where you really need the injectors to be the correct size and the tune dialed in. At idle and part throttle, the O2 sensor will keep the fuel in the correct range.

Old 06-29-2011 | 12:49 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by matty675
i have ARP studs, they arent tty.

hey adobe- would you take $165 for those accels?
175 shipped...Deal.

Old 06-29-2011 | 02:51 PM
matty675
|
Record Breaker

had the guys not swayed my oppinion, i would have handed over the cash, but i think ill go with a bosch set from 5-oh

Old 06-29-2011 | 06:01 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by matty675
had the guys not swayed my oppinion, i would have handed over the cash, but i think ill go with a bosch set from 5-oh
I've never heard anything bad, that's why I bought them. But hey...It's your money.

Last edited by Adobedude; 06-29-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2011 | 06:27 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by Adobedude
I've never heard anything bad, that's why I bought them. But hey...It's your money.

matty, do your own research on this.. the accels i speak of were the metal body 24#'rs.. these may be fine.. they may be more than sufficient if they are rated at 30# @ <80% duty cycle... aim is right, WOT is the killer, and where you don't wanna lean out..

CM is the MAN where injectors are concerned.. you may have to hold a seance to find him, but he will shoot you straight and you will have a firm grasp of those things when he's done..

Quick Reply: 408 stroker build