2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

windshield wipers only work on HIGH, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010 | 12:17 AM
vikingdiesel
|
Veteran
Default windshield wipers only work on HIGH, whats wrong?

My windshield Wipers only work on HIGH SPEED, whats the problem?

Old 12-07-2010 | 12:23 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

Just move to Washington state. Problem solved!

Its most likely the switch on the column. The high setting gets used the least, so the contacts on it are probably not worn out like the other settings are.

The following users liked this post:
Tacofiller (08-12-2024)
Old 12-07-2010 | 12:33 AM
vikingdiesel
|
Veteran
Old 12-07-2010 | 12:38 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

Yes, that is the part.

Old 12-07-2010 | 06:55 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

hold on.

it could be the switch in the column, or it could be the wiring, or it could be the wiper motor. you can download the 01 service manual from the FAQ's at the top and review the wiper electrical diagram in the back. before removing the switch you should test your output voltages to see if the switch is good or bad. one way to do that is to remove the wipers and plastic cowl to expose the wiper motor and unplug the connector. there are 4 wires - high speed, low speed, park circuit, and ground. if you are getting 12v on the low speed wire and the motor doesn't respond, then you have a bad wiper motor.

Old 12-09-2010 | 08:38 PM
vikingdiesel
|
Veteran

im pretty sure its the switch because the HIGHBEAM will not STAY ON and click over, so a questions: are all 94-01 1500,2500,3500 the same exact switches?

Old 12-10-2010 | 08:56 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i'm not sure. using the on-line parts stores, you could look up a 94 and an 01 and see if it gives you the same part numbers.

i bought a new one from autozone for only $42 about 3 years ago. because its a good bit of trouble to remove and reinstall, i didn't want to mess with a used one. you'll need a set of hollow security torx, also available at az, and a long skinny torx, don't recall size, for the bottom column cover. when removing the column covers, they have to unsnap apart. try not to break them.

edit - in the Haynes manual and the 01 service manual is a test procedure that shows how to identify each pin and test the switch functionality. but - it requires removal of the switch. my thoughts were, **** - i got the old one off, and it will eventually break, and all the paint is worn off, just replace the damn thing.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 12-10-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2010 | 11:45 PM
vikingdiesel
|
Veteran

well I also have to replace the clock spring, how this is a perfect time to do both since im in the same area

Old 12-11-2010 | 08:59 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i'm not sure. using the on-line parts stores, you could look up a 94 and an 01 and see if it gives you the same part numbers.

i bought a new one from autozone for only $42 about 3 years ago. because its a good bit of trouble to remove and reinstall, i didn't want to mess with a used one. you'll need a set of hollow security torx, also available at az, and a long skinny torx, don't recall size, for the bottom column cover. when removing the column covers, they have to unsnap apart. try not to break them.
It is T20, had my column apart the other day when I installed my remote start.

Old 12-11-2010 | 09:05 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by vikingdiesel
well I also have to replace the clock spring, how this is a perfect time to do both since im in the same area
You only need to remove 3 torx 20 screws to pop the cover so if you didn't do the clock spring at the same time, it really isn't that big of a deal at all. Just remember you'll need a steering wheel puller. I rented mine at AZ for about $20. Was a nice kit and thought about keeping it for that price. I swaped out my clock spring when I did my cruise control install (I have a base model truck). Where are you buying your clock spring btw? my oem made a little noise, but my napa one is loud as hell. It's pretty bad that I might end up replacing it again down the road.

Quick Reply: windshield wipers only work on HIGH, whats wrong?