2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

windshield wipers only work on HIGH, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010 | 11:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
just a thought... did you remove your door/headlight chime? that box is also the delay box for the wipers, and when pulled, the wipers will only work on high...
not true.

i accidently killed power to my delay control box (CTM) and worked on it for a damn month, and it did not behave that way. what it did do was force the intermittent wiper time delay to the shortest possible delay period. it did not force the wipers to high speed. both my low and high speed worked normally, and it was only the time delay that was screwed up.

Old 12-13-2010 | 11:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check and see if the switch is sending power to the wiper motor on the appropriate wires for the speed selected. (wiring diagram required, the 01 should work, as I don't think much changed there.) On 99% of the vehicles I have worked on, the 'smart' part of the delay wipers was ON the wiper motor.

Old 12-14-2010 | 01:32 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
not true.

i accidently killed power to my delay control box (CTM) and worked on it for a damn month, and it did not behave that way. what it did do was force the intermittent wiper time delay to the shortest possible delay period. it did not force the wipers to high speed. both my low and high speed worked normally, and it was only the time delay that was screwed up.
i was talking about pulling it completely out, we did that to one of the trucks, to kill the buzzer and next storm the wipers only worked on high untill we put it back in...

Old 12-14-2010 | 01:59 AM
vikingdiesel
|
Veteran

yes but would the high beam light be always on in my instrument cluster too, from this link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...always-on.html

Old 12-14-2010 | 07:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
i was talking about pulling it completely out, we did that to one of the trucks, to kill the buzzer and next storm the wipers only worked on high untill we put it back in...
haha, sounds like me. i pulled what looked like an unimportant fuse to silence the dinger. (pw or something?) didn't notice until about a month later that my intermittent delay control didn't work. by then i had long forgotten about pulling the fuse.

Old 12-15-2010 | 12:22 AM
vikingdiesel
|
Veteran

ok, update: No, the waring buzzer does NOT come on and im just noticing that the HIGHBEAM is starting to drain my battery, the headlight switch doesnt light up, seems like I need the headlight switch, turn signal switch, clock spring, and the radio stopped working a few days ago, thats something new

Old 12-15-2010 | 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check your fuses.......

Old 09-22-2015 | 01:30 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie

here is a video on the procedure in replacing the switch

Old 09-23-2015 | 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

5 year old thread? One would hope he has fixed this by now.... Or, lives in a desert......

Quick Reply: windshield wipers only work on HIGH, whats wrong?