2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pistons with HS 1.7's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 PM
bmyze316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pistons with HS 1.7's?

I have my rr's on the way and a friend of mine told me I should install pistons when I do my rockers. Summit has Keith Black set of 8 for $209, seems pretty cheap. I don't want to go to crazy yet, are pistons a hard job? what kind of gains would I see with them? No plans for heads or cam anytime soon.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nah, no need for pistons, ive had my 1.7 for a while now with no problems rolling on 143xxx. you will like the new giddy up

Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you may want to remove that friend from the list of mechanical oracles.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewactual
hahahahahhah

no man you will be just fine

Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 AM
bmyze316

Originally Posted by drewactual
lol. Yeah I always take what he says with a grain of salt. He's an old school guy, keeps calling my Throttle body a carburetor. I'll just stick with the rr's for now. the DIY on here makes it seems pretty easy to install. after the rockers Im getting a new si/do exhaust and maybe headers and that should be it for now. Wont really know where to go after that.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmyze316
lol. Yeah I always take what he says with a grain of salt. He's an old school guy, keeps calling my Throttle body a carburetor. I'll just stick with the rr's for now. the DIY on here makes it seems pretty easy to install. after the rockers Im getting a new si/do exhaust and maybe headers and that should be it for now. Wont really know where to go after that.
It is worth the extra time to remove the fan and fan shroud so you can step down on the sway bar then onto the ground so you will be standing straight up in the engine bay. It will save your back and knees from getting sore. Just lay all your tools on the cowl before you get in there so you don't have to keep getting in and out.
I cut the top off a 5 quart jug of oil and set all the rocker arms in it the night before then added just enough cheap oil to completely submerge them.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're looking for a way to make a $300, 2 hour job into a 2 week, $2000 job, by all means, get the pistons.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:20 PM
bmyze316

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
If you're looking for a way to make a $300, 2 hour job into a 2 week, $2000 job, by all means, get the pistons.
lol, touche

Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

While you're in the neighborhood, you might as well replace the main bearings and rear main seal... I mean you are, afterall, working on the engine, right? And while you're working on the truck, you might as well change your lawn mower's oil too. Now that you are in a "fluid changing" mood, go inside and tackle that fish tank that is starting to turn green. Can't have too much preventative maintenance you know...

lol.

On a more serious note, almost all the guys on here with HS 1.7 rr are running stock pistons with stock bottom ends, without any problems. Maybe he was thinking your engine didn't have any pistons... then he's totally right!

enjoy the new power!

JT

Old 12-19-2010, 05:13 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmyze316
He's an old school guy, keeps calling my Throttle body a carburetor.
That's not old school, that's ignorant. I'm old school (50 years old in 2011) and still have parts enough to tune any Carter AFB (or Thermo-Quad) for any conditions on Earth, but dammit there's no mistaking a throttle body for a carb if you're looking at it or even just know the model year of the vehicle.

Okay, all of my carb parts are in storage so if you need a green spring it'll be a while before I get at it, but still...

Quick Reply: Pistons with HS 1.7's?