2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dash board

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:13 PM
boowish
|
Rookie
Default Dash board

Why does the dash board have a very high rate of cracking?? The dodge is like the only truck that I know that the dash will usually crack.....

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:49 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Cheap, non uv protected plastic

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:50 PM
Saber6
Rookie

No UV protection in the plastic. Welcome to the club.

Call the main customer relations line and complain. They will send you to the dealership to have it looked at. If you press the point a little, they may cut you a deal (to avoid a recall). They know it's a big problem. They replaced mine and I paid two hours install. They supplied the part at no charge.

I shouldn't have had to pay for anything, but I guess what I got was better than nothing.

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:54 PM
notanexit7
Captain

Yeah I'd go to those lengths but with my trucks age there just isn't any point. There are some websites that sell whole dashes that are UV protected if you don't want to get the same piece of crap from the dealer.

Old 01-15-2011 | 10:21 PM
boowish
|
Rookie

yeah thats a good way to get a new one. But i saw that you could get some i just didnt know that they were uv protected. I have a camo dash cover on mine it has a couple cracks in it but by the radio mine has a little crack in it.

Old 01-15-2011 | 10:30 PM
notanexit7
Captain

I'm pretty fortunate as well. I've only got a few cracks in it. I religiously try and park under a tree or I'll have my towel with me and I'll just cover it with that. I'd rather clean off bird crap than have craters for a dash.

Old 01-15-2011 | 10:51 PM
boowish
|
Rookie

haha you got that right!! lol

Old 01-16-2011 | 07:11 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

Chrysler sucks!!!!!! At least when it comes to their customer service... They quoted me $1200 to change the dash and would never offer any other solution and this was all after the huge run-around they gave me to begin with (biggest waste of time and effort I have ever had from any company)... I have owned many GM vehicles through the years and have had various small issues that they have always been more than willing to help take care of. I love my truck but in the event that anything happens that makes me have to replace it, I will happily go back to my old brand. Of course there have been other issues in the past to make me feel that way, not just the dash but it makes for a big slap in the face

Last edited by kissmymagnum; 01-16-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2011 | 08:51 PM
chastain90
Professional

I have a cover that goes over the cracked dash and has been there for years with no cracks. I know a guy that is going through dodge to have his dash replaced. The only thing about the new cover if you get one is drill holes for your dash so if you ever have to take your dash out to replace something you can.

Old 01-17-2011 | 12:47 AM
crawlin95
Professional

mine looks like the freaking grand canyon!!!!! i can set drinks in my cup holder without pulling it out, and i can reach into my dash and get to every wire back there from the top lol it sucks and is convenient all at the same time. i want to replace my whole dash but i dont know where to get one from i dont want a cover i want the whole dash. i was told they crack because of crappy plastic and excessive body flex. i worked for chrysler jeep dodge dealership for 3yrs and we where always replacing dashes on the ram, 300, charger, sebring, and a couple crossfires. chrysler dashes just suck period.

Quick Reply: Dash board