2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel rail leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 PM
DODGEZ28MACH1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel rail leak

I am in the middle of reworking the Plenum with a Highs Kit. I've lucked out so far with no broken bolts and have only the Temp Sensor break up, while diconnecting the wires on it. Seems the insulator was almost chalk from age...no big deal, however after pulling the fuel rails, I noticed it has a pinhole leak in the cross over fuel line on the rigt rail. .
Anyone know of the part number of this hose, or is it just best to order some Fuel Injection hose and clamp it down?.
Waht about injector O rings, best ones to use?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got just enough of the proper hose to help you out.. PM me.. Cost is shipping- paying it forward.

If you don't go this route, make certain and buy the proper rated hosing.. If you follow a link in a thread titled "my first impression of the air-gap" in the discussions forum, you will find the tubing you need.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:45 PM
justfrfun
Rookie

they make a "patch kit" for those hard fuel lines. their are 2 sizes. the line that comes with the package is just long enough to fix that. Heat gun makes that trick work better.

Last edited by justfrfun; 01-23-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Me112233

Originally Posted by justfrfun
they make a "patch kit" for those hard fuel lines. their are 2 sizes. the line that comes with the package is just long enough to fix that. Heat gun makes that trick work better.
Can you be more specific? I went to Autozone, Advance, and NAPA today, they couldn't come up with any part, hose, or anything beyond "its a dealer part". The NAPA guy who said he once worked at the local Dodge dealer said Chrysler's "part" is the entire fuel rail assembly (the two main tubes with the crossover hose already attached), and it will cost about $350 at dealer retail. The replacement of the entire assembly seems rather straightforward, but I'm not much interested in coughing up $350. I would love to have specific information on the hose kit (manufacturer, official name of the kit, part number, whatever might help me locate one). Thanks.

The leak in the crossover hose suddenly showed up with no warning, and is spewing gasoline all over the engine compartment in the form of a heavy mist (that is a prescription for explosive disaster). Good thing it was in my driveway and not out on the road.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you are in need of the cross over hose?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my airgap install last week and that hard black hose is a royal pain in the a$$ to get back on. After thirty minutes of boiling it and trying to force it on and then boiling it again and trying again I just said screw it and went and got some rubber fuel hose. It was just some regular fuel hose with two fuel injection hose clamps on either end (advance didn't have any fuel injection line at the time). Seems to be holding just fine with no leaks as far as I can tell. I'll continue to check periodically because I dont know if I trust it yet, but take it from me - use the rubber hose.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

I would check and see what pressure that fuel hose is rated for. My guess is, it ain't 50 PSI..... should be written right on the hose.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

What size (diameter) rubber fuel injection hose can be used for this application - 1/4", 5/16" or 3/8"?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys using clamps on fuel lines are playing fire...Literally. EFI runs at 50 psi, not 7 as you normally see in a carb situation.

And the pressure is always there, on or off.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Me112233

Originally Posted by J415
So you are in need of the cross over hose?
Yes, the leak is in the crossover tube, in a position that would seem to be just beyond the fitting coming out of the driver-side rail. As previously noted, I had no idea until I started hunting for parts that this thing is apparently a one-piece system, rather than two rails connected by a simple tube.

Yes, I think I need a crossover hose/tube; however, I'm beginning to realize that something that simple isn't an option?

Quick Reply: Fuel rail leak