2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

affordable offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, I saw you recommend those, and I think they are fine (though I think one could still do better on price and still get a good quality lamp). Then I read all of the rest of the stuff you posted here (this and other threads), and that is what I am referring to. It's about buying what you really need for the price you are willing to spend, not just buying the most expensive just because it may or may not be the best out there. That is the thing you so frequently miss, yet it is so clear to everyone else. And you call me dense. lol.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
elcheeko
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run fog lights out back on my headache rack perfect for back up/work lights brite as hell work great for that had em back there for years got em for bout 20 or 30 bucks don't have any up front yet gotta finish my bumper but I'll be goin back to "Wally world" for all my lighting needs but I'll use better wiring, better fuses and better switches all on the cheap cause I have to work for a living like most of everyone else on here and the 6" rounds at wal-mart are 25.99 plus tax just for the guy who wanted cheap good lights

Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM
TheBigRedOne

You just thoroughly destroyed the English language with that giant run on sentence.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
elcheeko
Amateur

Oh was I suspposed to be an English major to satisfiy your needs to try to push other people around on here?(this is where u get mad and start fusing) oh and dude this is a public and info forum so all of this is just opinions and facts. Thoughs are for you to decide no need to get your panties in a twist

Old 02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
TheBigRedOne

Haha oh wow.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by elcheeko
Oh was I suspposed to be an English major to satisfiy your needs to try to push other people around on here?(this is where u get mad and start fusing) oh and dude this is a public and info forum so all of this is just opinions and facts. Thoughs are for you to decide no need to get your panties in a twist
No, you got it all wrong. Type so we can read it and use some punctuation. You do not need to be an english major to do that, just have a 6th grade diploma.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the most rediculous threads I've read since I read a thread about mufflers, air intakes, exhaust systems, tires, wheels, or any part of automotive modification.

Can we all say "it depends on a lot"?

For example- on my old car, I had $20 walmart lights on them. They were MUCH BETTER than HIDS. Know why? Because I never used them. Maybe once to show my friend, but I never actually used them in practice. So why spend $100 on lights that I'd never use? exactly, $20 for lights you'll never use DEFINATELY TRUMPS $100 on lights you'd never use.

Now on my truck I'm debating throwing my HID KC Hilites on there or my $14 lights from Harbor Freight. I'm leaning towards the $14 lights from HF and heres why- I only want them for "spare"/"rare occaisons" when I need them. I doubt I'll use them more than 10 times, and I doubt I'll have the truck more than a year. I know I won't burn out the bulbs, and so why buy "better lights"? (ironically I do own the KCs too, but why put them on a truck I'm just going to sell? then I have to take them off, and thats just a waste of my time).

I'm planning on saving the KCs for my next truck, where I'm hoping to buy a 2012 and keep it for 4-5 years. So maybe in that case having some "nicer" HIDS makes sense- Uses less power, They are brighter, function better, save me from bulb replacement, and will likely last all 4-5 years.

I just throw that out because seriously, "it depends". However, I think there are certainly some valid points thrown out about each of the benefits- the cheap crappy ones are CHEAPER initially atleast, and possibly long term dependent on use, and the "Better" ones are potentially cheaper long term, and offer a number of fantastic benefits.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Ok my head actually hurts from reading this thread, I really think it has been a pretty bad fail.

$100 bucks for lights is not bad, and I got to agree with the Bigredone, there is a lot of difference between a cheap set of lights and a quality set. Not only difference in reflectors, how it handles vibrations, amp draw, and heat. A friend had some cheap lights $50 bucks a pair with halogen bulbs, they worked alright(vibe was pretty bad going down dirt roads over 30). Well his dad sold an FJ he had and gave him the lights off of it not sure what brand but the 4 lights where just shy of $400 new , and damn talk about difference.

The OP is asking for an affordable offroad light, if he wants to see offroad them $25 cheapies wont be much better than a set of quality headlights, I would say go HID your going to get the best bang for your buck, and unless your desert racing wont need more than a pair

Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Arachnyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Ok my head actually hurts from reading this thread, I really think it has been a pretty bad fail.

$100 bucks for lights is not bad, and I got to agree with the Bigredone, there is a lot of difference between a cheap set of lights and a quality set. Not only difference in reflectors, how it handles vibrations, amp draw, and heat. A friend had some cheap lights $50 bucks a pair with halogen bulbs, they worked alright(vibe was pretty bad going down dirt roads over 30). Well his dad sold an FJ he had and gave him the lights off of it not sure what brand but the 4 lights where just shy of $400 new , and damn talk about difference.

The OP is asking for an affordable offroad light, if he wants to see offroad them $25 cheapies wont be much better than a set of quality headlights, I would say go HID your going to get the best bang for your buck, and unless your desert racing wont need more than a pair

Quick Reply: affordable offroad lights