2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

if i went to dodge and asked what would they say ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default if i went to dodge and asked what would they say ?

if i asked to go too the factory 4.10 and keep the open front and rear , how would my truck be. im just looking for more power as a DD but dont want too go into the hastle of changing my rear end.

if they change the gears would they have to put new spider gears in ? i think by doing this with dodge it would last me the rest of the life of the truck. im just not looking to spend alot of money.

a guy on here is going from 3.55 to 3.92 and keeping the open carrier. which got me thinking.

what your guys expertise on this subject ?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to have to get a different carrier if you go over 3.92, IIRC. At the same time I get my 3.92s installed, I am having a LSD put in the rear end. Had a LSD in my 1995 Dakota, hate the open in my Ram.

And a $tealership would want 5 million dollars for the conversion.

Last edited by jasonw; 03-02-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is a problem i have seen going from 3.55 to 3.92 or 4.10, Your speedo will be off and so will the tach. So if you drive with 3.55 gears at 65 mile an hour and your rpm is 2500. With 3.92 gears you will have a 5 mile an hour differents and the tech with be at 3000 rpm. And you may notice the transmission shift patten will change too. If you do go to 3.92 or 4.10, You will need a ring and pinion kit,Carrier and spiders gears too.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Here is a problem i have seen going from 3.55 to 3.92 or 4.10, Your speedo will be off and so will the tach. So if you drive with 3.55 gears at 65 mile an hour and your rpm is 2500. With 3.92 gears you will have a 5 mile an hour differents and the tech with be at 3000 rpm. And you may notice the transmission shift patten will change too.

All of this is easily fixed. Depending on the year of the truck, its fixed by either changing to the correct gear for the speedo or purchasing a tuner or speed calibrator.

Lastrights, yes you will need all new gears and master install kits. And you will need to change the carrier in the front diff (if you have 3.55's), or purchase the thick cut gears. And whats your idea of cheap, because changing gears is not really cheap.

Last edited by olyelr; 03-02-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

And having it done at the dealership is one of THE most expensive shops to have the work done.

Changing gears will have zero effect on the tach.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

basically was hoping i would save money buy just getting factory gears that the offroad 01 rams came with and was hoping if i got it it would last the rest of the truck, instead of going too more exspensive gears and lsd. i dunno why dodge would put 3.55 gearing in a heavy truck with a weak stock motor.

i mean my truck has good power but there is potential to have alot more if i went to 4.10 and i wouldnt have to get into the pedal as much for it to go. i just would hate to spend 2500 total and be dissipointed.

i was even thinking of going 4.56 but with gas prices the way they are . i dont think it would be a wise idea. when 4.10 will help a bit with milage .

do you think over time 4.10 would save me money in the long run ?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights

do you think over time 4.10 would save me money in the long run ?

Are talking about saving money through better gas mileage? Not really. If you got much better mileage I would be pretty surprised. It would surely take a long while to recoup the cost of the gear swap given the small amount added MPG you MIGHT gain.

Just cause the factory offered 4.10's in a stock truck doesn't mean they are going to swap yours out on the cheap. They still have to purchase gears, install kits and do all the labor. If I had to guess, it would probably cost WAY more than just taking it to a shop.

Depending on your area and the shop you go to, you could probably have new gears installed for $1500 give or take, which would be just basically the gears. You don't HAVE to do any lockers or limited slips, but it would be crazy not to... but it will add to the price (another $200+ depending on what you get).

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Changing gears will have zero effect on the tach.

Technically, this is true as your tach simply reads the revolutions of the motor, nothing else. But, the RPM's will be different at any given speed (compared to before the gears swap).

HeyYou, I know you know this, I was just elaborating for others that may be wondering.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The factory 4.10 gearset for the 9.25 is over $600, just the parts. I would imagine the Dana 44 is similar.

Your truck is 2000-2001 correct? No adjustment to the speedo is necessary on the later models, there is no gear to read or swap, the speed sensor reads the tone ring from the out put shaft of the trans pre-gear and is not affected. Tires, not gears affect the speedo on the later model rams. On the earlier rams, both tires and gears can effect speedo readings.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Technically, this is true as your tach simply reads the revolutions of the motor, nothing else. But, the RPM's will be different at any given speed (compared to before the gears swap).

HeyYou, I know you know this, I was just elaborating for others that may be wondering.
I see we had some miscommunication there.

I thought you were saying it would make the tach inaccurate. Which isn't the case. But, you are correct in saying you would be running higher revs for the same speed with lower gears. Yep Yep.

In our trucks, I am not entirely sure that would be such a bad thing.......

Quick Reply: if i went to dodge and asked what would they say ?