2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

and that's the point of looking for one that has been well maintained. Also, don't know about you, but, I test drive anything before I buy it...... even a quick trip around the block can tell you a lot about how well a vehicle was taken care of.

The 47/48R? trannies also seem to be MUCH more robust than the 46 series. Again, its all about how well it was cared for. Being that he is a college student, probably doesn't have a boatload of money to spend (and the price of the diesels might just dissuade him more than anything we say here......), nor does he have a bunch of money to spend on maintenance........ gotta be REAL picky about what he buys.

Now, for the money he would spend on the diesel truck...... (especially one that is in fairly good condition......) he could buy a REALLY nice car. So, its all in what ya want.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
One of these trucks is one of the worst choices for a college student. They are VERY expensive to own, and not terribly reliable either. You really don't need to be all that worried about the snow either. This year we had record levels of snow and precipitation, yet I never had a problem getting anywhere in my Integra. I drove from Maine to Connecticut during a Nor' Easter without any problem.

A light front wheel drive car will almost always out perform an obese 4x4 truck in foul conditions. Not to mention, will be FAR cheaper to own while you're here.
Not going to argue with the far cheaper comment, however, your winters must be far different than the ones we have out here in the midwest. Out here, a 4x4 (truck or decent SUV) will outperform a car any day in foul winter weather.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dads truck has over 400k on it and it's only on trans 2( which was his fault) 2nd rearend(also his fault) and 3rd alternator. Motor runs good as new. Upkeep is the key to how long a vehicle will last.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 AM
intense00
Professional

Originally Posted by jasonw
Not going to argue with the far cheaper comment, however, your winters must be far different than the ones we have out here in the midwest. Out here, a 4x4 (truck or decent SUV) will outperform a car any day in foul winter weather.
+1

I see fwd cars get stuck trying to pull in my driveway.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 AM
nolazach
Veteran

Get a truck, just cause they are not common back home. If I was in Austrailia, I would probably get a ute, cause you can't get them here.

Fun to drive stuff you can't normally get. Another great thing about the Cummins is you won't lose much when you sell it down the line.

Though if a dodge truck is your thing, just get a Dakota, better gas mileage and cheaper to maintain.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by nolazach
Get a truck, just cause they are not common back home. If I was in Austrailia, I would probably get a ute, cause you can't get them here.

Fun to drive stuff you can't normally get. Another great thing about the Cummins is you won't lose much when you sell it down the line.

Though if a dodge truck is your thing, just get a Dakota, better gas mileage and cheaper to maintain.
+1 on the ute

Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by jasonw
We had a record 5ft snowfall and I never got stuck. Anywhere.

I drove straight out of this with no shoveling. Front wheel drive = awesome!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Truedge
Professional

That looks like only two feet to me. We get that every other week up here.

BTW your gonna tell me that that little green two door in your last picture got anywhere soon? I don't think so.

Thats playing snow for me and my truck, where as I'd NEVER try and drive a car thru that till the roads are plowed.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove straight out of this with no shoveling. Front wheel drive = awesome!
FWD is a better snow country option than RWD but that's really not saying much at all. FWD is great when you're some pansy-*** city dweller who can count on the plows and sand/salt trucks being on duty all the time, but when you're on your own FWD is just getting stuck a little further out than the RWD's.

4WD/AWD FTW.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh.. No man. Not at all true. These trucks get trash mileage, and only a handful make the 200k mark, much less 300. Also they are horrifically unsafe. They were the worst in their model year for truck safety. They scored "Poor" across the board. They will drive away from a light accident no problem. But a real no **** accident will probably leave you dead.

Dunno about that, though it is hard to argue with video.

My truck had a disagreement with the placement of a large pine tree (also, there was a cow in the road), and proceeded to give it's best effort to relocate said tree going around 45mph. Managed to get back home without too much trouble (except for the incredibly annoying sound of the fan gobbling up the shroud). Fender, bumper, and hood later and i was good to go.

Buddy of mine hit a telephone pole IN MIDAIR (~10 feet up) going 100+mph in his 96 ram. Truck was completely toast (bumper was crushed in ~3 feet, bent frame from impact shock). I will post pics if i can find them (dunno if he took them off of facebook yet).

He cracked a vertebrae (not seriously) and busted his lip. That's it. Took him a month to recover fully, but he was walking within a day. He even passed a military physical, and is in the army now.

Cant comment on snow performance as snow is rare where I live (I've seen snow maybe 4 times in 22 years)

A fullsize pickup will own a sedan (or smaller pickup) any day....... That's just..... well... PHYSICS

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 03-07-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.