2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011 | 12:49 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

To the original poster, i owned a 1996 with the 12V cummins, it got about 28mpg with the 5 speed tranny and a few engine power upgades i did. Not the best truck if you are tight for money as components on diesels are expensive. i think a rebuilt starter alone is $500 if you need one let alone buying two batteries for the truck. if it were me i would look at a good used gas job and save the $$$. there's my two cents lol

Old 03-07-2011 | 01:14 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
Funny how brave people are on the interweb. Where I come from, had you said these two sentences, you would be beaten to a bloody pulp.If this lack of respect for others is the standard where you live, I'll take my little town in the great state of Texas any day.

I've read quite a few of your posts and can tell you why many people disagree with you on so many fronts: your often immature, goading tone combined with an "I know everything" argument style. Honestly, you act like a lot of the information you present in this forum is the Word of Gawd, and to question it is sacrilege.
Right, and then those individuals would serve life prison sentences. I'm retired US Navy, currently recalled Active duty reservist. We have a no bull**** view on everything. Perception is reality.

I honestly could care less what people think about me. I only post on topics I know I'm right about, and I speak from real world experience. Herp derp all you want, that's my opinion.

Old 03-07-2011 | 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
Right, and then those individuals would serve life prison sentences. I'm retired US Navy, currently recalled Active duty reservist. We have a no bull**** view on everything. Perception is reality.

I honestly could care less what people think about me. I only post on topics I know I'm right about, and I speak from real world experience. Herp derp all you want, that's my opinion.
So nice to know that you care.

Old 03-07-2011 | 03:04 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Funny how brave people are on the interweb. Where I come from, had you said these two sentences, you would be beaten to a bloody pulp. If this lack of respect for others is the standard where you live, I'll take my little town in the great state of Texas any day.
You sir make my blood boil. It is not a lack of respect, it is a personal opinion.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 03-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2011 | 03:14 PM
TheBigRedOne

I like how people like that try to come off so tough. It's the internet, nobody cares.

Old 03-07-2011 | 03:16 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I like how people like that try to come off so tough. It's the internet, nobody cares.
Thats my philosophy.

Old 03-07-2011 | 03:50 PM
theneckasaurus

One of these trucks is one of the worst choices for a college student. They are VERY expensive to own, and not terribly reliable either. You really don't need to be all that worried about the snow either. This year we had record levels of snow and precipitation, yet I never had a problem getting anywhere in my Integra. I drove from Maine to Connecticut during a Nor' Easter without any problem.

A light frontwheel drive car will almost always out perform an obese 4x4 truck in foul conditions. Not to mention, will be FAR cheaper to own while you're here.
I agree that it may not be the best choice for a college student but do not slander the cummins name, my dually has 1,000,500 miles on it, stock tranny went out at 400k it now has a browns in it and shows no signs of giving up. You need to shut your mouth when you dont know **** about the trucks, not reliable? Cummins motors are the most reliable motor on the market, a well maintained dodge cummins truck will hardly give you problems. My dads 24v gets 28 mpg on the highway my 96' 4x4 gets 24-26 and will smoke your integra in any weather, with the added fact that ive had the 4x4 for almost 5 years and havent had a single problem with it. Now Im not saying they are perfect and will never break down cause they do and it is expensive to fix them, but the majority of the time the truck is fine. If you're in college for the average 4 years and land a sturdy job you'll be fine, as long as the truck has been maintained and well kept it will be the best vehicle you'll ever own.

Old 03-07-2011 | 03:50 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Thumbs up

All of you like to hate on small cars because you're herp derp hillbillies, thats fine. But I'll hate right back on your failxfore open differential ****piles.
Read the former comment again. The emboldened statement is a generalization encompassing anyone who populates this forum, and belittles us all as "herp derp hillbillies".

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You sir make my blood boil. It is not a lack of respect, it is a personal opinion.
I dont know what you think warrants the label "lack of respect", but big red's post quoted above defines the phrase pretty well.

It may well also fall under the definition of opinion, but it is an opinion that shows no regard for the thoughts of anybody else here; and thus, can be viewed as a personal attack on each and every person that reads it. Hence, it is an opinion showing a broad lack of respect, which is no better.

"It's the internet, nobody cares"

Right....... Except for those of us brought up by the belt and switch to adhere to a larger standard of politeness, respect, and chivalry.

Old 03-07-2011 | 03:52 PM
theneckasaurus

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
The cummins is an awesome motor. I assume you're looking into a 4wd being up north? It's not going to be the motor that needs attention it will be mist likely steering and front suspension. Any used truck will require parts to an extent just keep in mind that being a 2500 parts generally cost more. A buddy of mine has a regular cab long bed 4wd 12v cummins with stacks, a really nice programmer ( not sure which one), a manual trans on 33's and he gets mid 20 fuel mileage on the interstate. Just really look into the truck before you buy. Good luck, I for one will be jealous of that cummins lol.
Im not tryin to be a dick at all but a 12v wouldnt have a programmer.

Old 03-07-2011 | 03:53 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by theneckasaurus
I agree that it may not be the best choice for a college student but do not slander the cummins name, my dually has 1,000,500 miles on it, stock tranny went out at 400k it now has a browns in it and shows no signs of giving up. You need to shut your mouth when you dont know **** about the trucks, not reliable? Cummins motors are the most reliable motor on the market, a well maintained dodge cummins truck will hardly give you problems. My dads 24v gets 28 mpg on the highway my 96' 4x4 gets 24-26 and will smoke your integra in any weather, with the added fact that ive had the 4x4 for almost 5 years and havent had a single problem with it. Now Im not saying they are perfect and will never break down cause they do and it is expensive to fix them, but the majority of the time the truck is fine. If you're in college for the average 4 years and land a sturdy job you'll be fine, as long as the truck has been maintained and well kept it will be the best vehicle you'll ever own.
oh man, I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I never once "slandered" the Cummins name. Lmao, Attack of the Fanboys!

Quick Reply: Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.