2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 11:16 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that was fun, broke the front two intake bolts off, got one out out with a little heat, PB blaster and rock and roll, Driver's side broke again, drilled it and tapped it it. I'm going the cheap route, reusing the stock plate with a Fel Pro gasket, RTV and new 3/4" bolts. I read where 3/4" bolts are even too long with the 1/4" plenum plate, mine worked fine on a stock plate after I used a bottom tap to clean the threads out. I ALWAYS run a tap through through every hole prior to re-assembly of anything, it's amazing how much crap is in there.
SS bolts going back in to bolt down the intake, TTY bolts are absolutely not needed here, never understood that.

Last edited by Adobedude; 08-21-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Don't forget the lock-tite on the plenum bolts. You REALLY don't want them fellers comin' out.

Old 08-21-2022, 02:24 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't forget the lock-tite on the plenum bolts. You REALLY don't want them fellers comin' out.
No kidding, Red lock-tite and clean clean clean FTW

Old 08-22-2022, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

I used blue, but, the only difference is, blue is easier to take out. However, probably not something you are going to want/need to do more than once.

The following users liked this post:
Adobedude (08-23-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 08:11 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Had a leak on my intake install, front left corner. Used a shop vac to create a vacuum on the engine by sticking it in the oil fill hole, used smoke to find the leak and ultimately suck the RTV in the area where the leak was...All fixed. I always check before I button everything up. Most of the work I do is on my race engine, it's been decked, heads milled, after market Intake, so I always use RTV on the China walls. Only had two leaks after countless intake swaps/installs. Not good when they back you out of the staging lanes because they spotted a single drop of oil.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread